Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Phoronix IRC Channel

Phoronix: Phoronix IRC Channel

Due to the request of users on the Phoronix Forums, we now have a Phoronix IRC channel. On #phoronix at FreeNode.net you can discuss the latest Linux articles, hardware compatibility, the Phoronix Test Suite, and more...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I like IRC but I really dislike public IRC logs. I would prefer no logs.

Comment

Originally posted by Kano View Post
      I like IRC but I really dislike public IRC logs. I would prefer no logs.
      For what reason(s) are you against logs?
      Michael Larabel
      https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

yer whats with the log hating,
        you aint having my logs

Comment

/me cheers for freenode.

Comment

I see absolutely no reason in public IRC logs. Of course IRC channels are not private, but thats more than needed. Everybody could join the channel who wants to read it, no need to show logs to others.

Comment

IRC definitely changes when there are logs. Sans logging, it's a lot like a face-to-face discussion; you try not to say anything *really* bad but you worry more about making the communication work.

Once a channel is logged, you have to think a *bit* more about everything you say. It's still pretty informal but you need to be more careful to avoid saying something that gets interpreted completely differently from what you intended and then hangs around on the logs incriminating you until the next disk crash.

Maybe we could compromise somehow; logging but on a server with a single old hard drive and no backups
              Last edited by bridgman; 09 June 2008, 06:33 PM.
              Test signature

Comment

Originally posted by Kano View Post
                I see absolutely no reason in public IRC logs.
                Primarily for indexing within Google and other search engines. If a user on IRC is asking a question (say about the Phoronix Test Suite or something hardware related) and then later on another user can stumble across it as a resource.
                Michael Larabel
                https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Well I absolutely hate Google indexed IRC logs for the reasons I told you before.

Comment

I'm with Kano on this. What we need is Google-indexed logs on all the channels we *don't* use
                    Test signature

Comment

Working...
                    X