Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GStreamer VA-API Plug-In Update Adds New Features

Phoronix: GStreamer VA-API Plug-In Update Adds New Features

Gwenole Beauchesne has released an updated version of the GStreamer VA-API that provides major changes to this plug-in set that allows for hardware-accelerated video decoding with the Video Acceleration API when using GStreamer...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
    Phoronix: GStreamer VA-API Plug-In Update Adds New Features

Gwenole Beauchesne has released an updated version of the GStreamer VA-API that provides major changes to this plug-in set that allows for hardware-accelerated video decoding with the Video Acceleration API when using GStreamer...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTc1MjA
    It doesn't work flawlessly but seems better than last time i tested it. Firefox CPU usage seems kind of high with HD videos. At least it doesn't crash it.

Comment

Kind of off-topic, but can anybody give me a concise summary of the differences between VA-API and VDPAU? They both seem to be hardware-acceleration APIs, and most FOSS drivers end up supporting them both, so why do they both exist? Is it a ffmpeg/libav type of thing (basically the same with 90% of the differences being extremely minor)?

Comment

Originally posted by 89c51 View Post
        It doesn't work flawlessly but seems better than last time i tested it. Firefox CPU usage seems kind of high with HD videos. At least it doesn't crash it.
        Unfotunately i still experience crashes with hd videos on youtube using proprietary nvidia blob (and libva-vdpau-driver)

Comment

Originally posted by Daktyl198 View Post
          Kind of off-topic, but can anybody give me a concise summary of the differences between VA-API and VDPAU? They both seem to be hardware-acceleration APIs, and most FOSS drivers end up supporting them both, so why do they both exist? Is it a ffmpeg/libav type of thing (basically the same with 90% of the differences being extremely minor)?
          There are actually four and all are pretty similar:

VDPAU - Decode only. Designed by nvidia. Currently supported by radeon, nouveau, nvidia drivers.
          VA-API - Encode and Decode. Designed by Intel. Currently supported by intel driver.
          OpenMAX - Encode and Decode. Multi-platform Khronos standard. Currently supported by radeon driver.
          XvBA - Decode only. Designed by AMD. Currently supported by catalyst driver.

The main difference is who designed them. They tend to be somewhat tailored to the designer's hardware.

Comment

Originally posted by kokoko3k View Post
            Unfotunately i still experience crashes with hd videos on youtube using proprietary nvidia blob (and libva-vdpau-driver)
            For me it doesn't crash. Quality isn't good. At least not consistent. I see some artifacts and its blur some times.

Bad:

Good:

+ a flickr on the screen each time i start a video.

Need to test more though. gst-play-1.0 is broken also.

Comment

Originally posted by kokoko3k View Post
              Why use such roundabout way? Can't gstreamer use vdpau directly? There's a libgstvdpau.so in gst-plugins-bad.

Comment

Originally posted by agd5f View Post
                There are actually four and all are pretty similar:

VDPAU - Decode only. Designed by nvidia. Currently supported by radeon, nouveau, nvidia drivers.
                VA-API - Encode and Decode. Designed by Intel. Currently supported by intel driver.
                OpenMAX - Encode and Decode. Multi-platform Khronos standard. Currently supported by radeon driver.
                XvBA - Decode only. Designed by AMD. Currently supported by catalyst driver.

The main difference is who designed them. They tend to be somewhat tailored to the designer's hardware.
                gst-vaapi vs gst-omx?? radeon r600 works semi-OK with gst-vaapi.

Comment

Originally posted by 89c51 View Post
                  An indication of CPU usage without the current CPU frequency is kind of useless you know. It could be 54% of CPU @ 774 Mhz vs. 114% of CPU @ 1.8 Ghz, that's not quite the same.

Comment

In case anyone that can do something reads here.

The quality issue is that when changing to the big player it doesn't use the 720p resolution but a smaller one. And when using the small player the quality is shit. Might has to do with scaling of the video or something. Not sure if this is a gst-vaapi issue or a youtube one.

Comment

Working...
                    X