Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NVIDIA Is Working Towards VDPAU H.265/HEVC Support

Phoronix: NVIDIA Is Working Towards VDPAU H.265/HEVC Support

NVIDIA is working on adding HEVC/H.265 video decoding support to VDPAU...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I hope that AMD comes with a h265 decoder too.

Comment

Cool. The quicker the better!

Comment

Pretty much nobody has Maxwell yet, so even if you have a new and powerful nvidia card you'll still be left with CPU-only decoding unless you have maxwell?

Comment

Originally posted by mark45 View Post
          Pretty much nobody has Maxwell yet, so even if you have a new and powerful nvidia card you'll still be left with CPU-only decoding unless you have maxwell?
          The 750 Ti is pretty popular I think, and it's a Maxwell card. Also, H.265 is still nowhere to be found and the high-end Maxwell cards launch very soon.

Comment

Originally posted by d2kx View Post
            The 750 Ti is pretty popular I think, and it's a Maxwell card. Also, H.265 is still nowhere to be found and the high-end Maxwell cards launch very soon.
            The 750TI doesn't have HEVC. It's first-gen Maxwell. The first Nvidia cards with HEVC will be the second-gen Maxwell, which comes out next year with HDMI 2.0 and possibly DisplayPort 1.3. Then Pascal will arrive with VP9 and HEVC and it will definitely pack HDMI 2.0 and DisplayPort 1.3.

Comment

Originally posted by d2kx View Post
              As for gtx750 -series there is no full hw h265 support, only partial(I don't think this is implemented on vdpau yet). If you remember vc-1 support from the geforce 8xxx series, it could be quite similar(first full hw acceleration of vc-1 was on g98 aka geforce 8400 gs v2).

Comment

Working...
              X