Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Grand Theft Auto Running On Direct3D Natively On Linux Shows Gallium3D Potential

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by marek View Post
    AFAIK, AMD IL is only a shader representation/language, it's not an API and as such cannot represent D3D9 states and draw commands. It's pretty useless by itself.

First i was speaking about reaction of the State-tracker with Catalyst, not converting any outputs. Second i was thought that D3D9 states are apply at shader representation mode, not after (in HW mode).

Comment

Originally posted by tizbac View Post
      if it alters windows d3d9 code , it won't work , because it expects microsoft code at microsoft choosen addresses , that's why most games have to be cracked to run on wine , it's because DRMs are heavily obfuscated and make assumptions about DLLs layout, so they won't work on wine, or anything that is not windows
      This is relative depend game, various of my gameset works on wine without nodvd (this is work because wine have many years of users feedback)

However in some cases are needed (GFWL games, CEG games and others)

Comment

Originally posted by cb88 View Post
        Obviously but ReactOS is trying to do EVERYTHING..
        They are. And from theoretical point of view, they should be da best when it comes to launching some proprietary winduz crap since they reimplementing exactly same API and ABI in its native form.

d3d9 is just a graphics ABI and a few other things its doable.
        Spending time on outdated proprietary API/ABI reimplementation is IMO just waste of time.

Originally posted by Dukenukemx View Post
        I don't understand what you're saying. People using Linux aren't going to want to run two OS's. I doubt developers are interested in porting all their old games to Linux, and you know there's going to be a few new games that won't make it either. The DX9 API isn't going to comete with thinks like OpenGL on linux, but it makes for playing old games bearable. Like it or not the recent attention Linux is getting is due to Valve's influence of bringing games to this OS. They unfortunately don't have a different solution to your run Windows idea.
        I want to tell you that
        1) Linux is NOT Windows and most devs around just do not care how your windows crap will run here. This haves obvious consequences: this doomed to be pain in the rear and can break here and there.
        2) You've got what you've paid for. Since it was ok for you to "purchase" some non-exclusive license to "run" program and you were ok with very limited rights granted to you under EULA, now its time to enjoy the consequences and discover that proprietary code haves certain downsides. One of them is lack of sorces and resulting vendor lock, where you're locked down to particular architecture, API, ABI and so on and. You agreed terms, now its time to face the results. That's where we can see opensource licenses have some point...
        3) Aggressively demanding other people to waste their time on fixing your faults is impolite to say the least.
        4) Furthermore, I fail to see bright future of these attempts to mimic ancient proprietary api.

And as for porting to GL and Linux, etc... its about money usually. And now what? You fell into pit of proprietary stuff, and want opensource people to waste their time on garbage projects just to fix your own faults?

Comment

My test
          gallium-nine don't work with dri_prime (7790, 6770), radeonsi(hd 7790)
          work on r600 (hd 6770)
          Crysis 2 (80-100% fps boost)
          Mafia2 benchmark (26 fps vs 31 fps)
          GTA 4 segfault in LaunchGTAIV.exe

Mesa and wine for opensuse
          Last edited by Pontostroy; 29 July 2014, 03:13 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by 0xBADCODE View Post
            Spending time on outdated proprietary API/ABI reimplementation is IMO just waste of time.
            I want to tell you that
            1) Linux is NOT Windows and most devs around just do not care how your windows crap will run here. This haves obvious consequences: this doomed to be pain in the rear and can break here and there.
            2) You've got what you've paid for. Since it was ok for you to "purchase" some non-exclusive license to "run" program and you were ok with very limited rights granted to you under EULA, now its time to enjoy the consequences and discover that proprietary code haves certain downsides. One of them is lack of sorces and resulting vendor lock, where you're locked down to particular architecture, API, ABI and so on and. You agreed terms, now its time to face the results. That's where we can see opensource licenses have some point...
            3) Aggressively demanding other people to waste their time on fixing your faults is impolite to say the least.
            4) Furthermore, I fail to see bright future of these attempts to mimic ancient proprietary api.

And as for porting to GL and Linux, etc... its about money usually. And now what? You fell into pit of proprietary stuff, and want opensource people to waste their time on garbage projects just to fix your own faults?
            hmm funny, I am normaly that guy that wants companies to suffer the price of their evilness when they choose proprietary lisenses, and still I have to disagree to your points.

1. did u argue against every wine improvement and new lisense like this?
            2. before this, people got best experiences in both world at least what they know they got more or less fastest best driver support Nvidia driver for their cards, had nearly a exclusive nvidia wine experience and had here best proprietary support and best opensource support more or less.

Now if u buy nvidia cards and use their driver blob u start to get not the best proprietary support and hopefully in the future not the best opensource support (wayland).

And yes its evil to sell a user programm as proprietary but its way more evil to force people into using proprietary drivers.

Why?

1. u do not even have to use a security hole u take direct control over the pc with root privileges.
            2. if you dont deliver a update for newer kernels or xservers the pc more or less stops working at all ( x starts with a error).
            3. u force the user to use your software, by not giving him else access to the basic features of his pc, the control of the hardware.
            4. users cant wrap your stuff into some software that can maybe protect u from evil proprietary code like sandboxes.

Either u go radical then u dont play any propriatary game, and companies using opengl but releasing proprietary linmux blobs are not much better, than this, or u play proprietary games then I dont see how exclusive better proprietary software support in free drivers can hurt linux or foss.

Its not that the company behind this directx 9 games are making billions of losses because its not running under linux.
            But each less nvidia card get sold, the better.
            Last edited by blackiwid; 29 July 2014, 05:05 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Pontostroy View Post
              My test
              gallium-nine don't work with dri_prime (7790, 6770), radeonsi(hd 7790)
              work on r600 (hd 6770)
              Crysis 2 (80-100% fps boost)
              Mafia2 benchmark (26 fps vs 31 fps)
              GTA 4 segfault in LaunchGTAIV.exe

Mesa and wine for opensuse
              http://download.opensuse.org/reposit...openSUSE_13.1/

Is your repository for Gallium Nine? And if it is, can i use it with Fedora?

Comment

ok, here is PKGBUILDS for arch users against latest git mesa and wine-1.7.23, please install first lcarlier repo and upgrade

Mesa

Mesa 32

Wine-1.7.23 + d3d9 gallium

So far RadeonSI don't work, maybe can be related to megadrivers or another issue inside mesa.

later i'll go to IRC and find a way to debug it

Comment

Originally posted by jrch2k8 View Post
                  ok, here is PKGBUILDS for arch users against latest git mesa and wine-1.7.23, please install first lcarlier repo and upgrade

Mesa

Mesa 32

Wine-1.7.23 + d3d9 gallium

So far RadeonSI don't work, maybe can be related to megadrivers or another issue inside mesa.

later i'll go to IRC and find a way to debug it
                  Try grab updated code, I pushed some fixies for radeonsi (Mesa-3D), I couldn't test it, but maybe it will work for you (preferable try some d3d9 game as Bioshock, Crysis or Mafia II which work for everyone).
                  Also when you'll be on IRC, felixonmars also made d3d9 pkgbuilds, so you may want share knowledge

Comment

Originally posted by rikkinho View Post
                    we need native games not this even less dx
                    You're missing an use case I thing. Native d3d support whould allow you virtualized machined to pass graphic commands through transpearently.

Comment

Originally posted by okias View Post
                      Try grab updated code, I pushed some fixies for radeonsi (Mesa-3D), I couldn't test it, but maybe it will work for you (preferable try some d3d9 game as Bioshock, Crysis or Mafia II which work for everyone).
                      Also when you'll be on IRC, felixonmars also made d3d9 pkgbuilds, so you may want share knowledge
                      mesa patches updated

Mesa:

Mesa 32:

Comment

Working...
                      X