Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Grand Theft Auto Running On Direct3D Natively On Linux Shows Gallium3D Potential

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Dukenukemx View Post
    The PS4/Xbone have failed miserably in market share that for the first time ever in gaming history the developers are creating games for both 360/PS3 and Xbone/PS4. The most they offer is a remastered version of the games, which are just texture repacks. There's a pretty good chance the Xbox One will fail in the market within the year or two. It's clear that PC gaming is a stronger market than consoles. That wasn't the case with 360/PS3.
    I don't see much difference between the launch of this gen and last gen. Game developers will keep targeting the old console with the much larger marketshare for a while, until it's clear that most people have moved on to the current gen. Same thing happened with the PS3/360 when they first came out.

Comment

• Originally posted by monohouse View Post
      smitty console ports suck and I would like to point out that the dedicated PC games (the ones that were programmed from the ground up for the PC) are DX9 games that is why those games work properly.
      the games that are DX10/11/12 are console ports so many of them suck on PC, and that is a good reason for this project to take off (that being said, GTA 4 is a console port and yet I can see they managed to make it work properly)
      I'm curious which "dedicated PC games" you are talking about. 99% of pc games these days are console ports, unless you are talking about specific categories - like indie games, or RTS games? Even if a game isn't a direct console port, many of them are running 3rd party game engines, like Unreal, which is designed to be run on consoles.

Since the console hardware is approximately DX9 compatible, that's what all their engines are geared towards. Sometimes they throw in an extra DX10/11 effect or something on the PC, but that's basically trivial and i think mostly just so they can market it as a DX11 game to people who might look at that and think it must be better.
      Last edited by smitty3268; 06 August 2014, 02:39 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Pontostroy View Post
        On r600 gallium-nine works, on radeonsi i got segfaults.

Must be mixed with http://download.opensuse.org/reposit...ntostroy:/X11/ (mesa and wine from homeontostroy:branches:homeontostroy:X11 all other packages from pontostroy:X11 )
        For now mesa in pontostroy:/X11/openSUSE_Factory can be broken, i switched to llvm 3.6 but OBS rebuild packages for factory very slow.

It seams i can't find llvm3.6.

Comment

• Originally posted by artivision View Post
          It seams i can't find llvm3.6.
          ??
          libLLVM36-3.6~svn20140805-1.2.x86_64.rpm
          llvm-r600-3.6~svn20140805-1.1.x86_64.rpm

right there: http://download.opensuse.org/reposit...actory/x86_64/

Comment

• Originally posted by smitty3268 View Post
            I don't see much difference between the launch of this gen and last gen. Game developers will keep targeting the old console with the much larger marketshare for a while, until it's clear that most people have moved on to the current gen. Same thing happened with the PS3/360 when they first came out.
            Technically the 360/PS3 were doing badly up until people realized the Wii was a pile of casual poop. About 2008ish a lot of quality games were introduced, and people made the jump then. Especially with the PS3 which was expensive until they dropped PS2 backwards compatibility support.

Keep in mind that until the PS3/360, most console were emulatable on PC. Consoles were that much weaker compared to PC. With the 360/PS3 that changed, with these machines being very comparable against a mid ranged PC. Don't forget about Vista which made everyone close their wallets and stuck to XP for nearly 10 years. Vista was really that bad for PC gaming.

Of course, don't forget about Steam. Specifically SteamBox, as it's clear that Valve wants to take away the console thunder. When SteamOS and SteamBox is ready, we're going to see some serious sh*t. But for Steam to be succesful on Linux, it needs some backwards compatibility with Windows. Cause people aren't going to use Linux to play a handful of their games. And Wine's graphics performance is just terrible. That's why DX9 state tracker is so important. If we could get AMD/Nvidia/Intel behind it, we wouldn't have to hear the excuses of the Wine devs.

Comment

• Originally posted by smitty3268 View Post
              these days
              that's just it, I am not about the games of these days because their console nature makes them sucks on PC, I am about games up to 2007/before 2008 ! those were the good games

Comment

Working...
              X