No announcement yet.

Even With Re-Clocking, Nouveau Remains Behind NVIDIA's Proprietary Linux Driver

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Considering performance of Nvidia drivers result of GTX 650 is impressive!

The only graphics card tested that could fully re-clock was the GeForce GTX 650 while the other GPUs would cause problems when attempting the highest performance state.
    Can somebody confirm this is correct statement?
    As far as I remember memory reclocking is not implemented yet.

Originally posted by Dukenukemx View Post
    If Nouveau got the DX9 state tracker, I could see a lot of people wanting to use that driver over Nvidia binary. Given that reclocking works fully on most graphic cards.
    Yeah that would be extremely interesting for Nouveau because it's can get more driver testers. Everyone who interesting should check this awesome video (and comment under it):
    Grand Theft Auto IV running on native DX9, gallium-nine state tracker by Christoph Bumiller , https://github.com/chrisbmr/Mesa-3D/tree/gallium-nine , on linu...

Comment

If Nouveau got the DX9 state tracker, I could see a lot of people wanting to use that driver over Nvidia binary. Given that reclocking works fully on most graphic cards.

it won't. at least as long as one of two things happen
      - proprietary drivers also provide DX or
      - they make it as standalone Mesa extension and as such easier to use for people that are interested in. even LD_PRELOAD would probably have more success than recompiling whole mesa

as far as wine goes creating a patch that doesn't need to be inside wine is trivial, since wine already handles path like dll loading priority.

d3d9 coders sure made them selves a lots of unnecessary troubles and hurdles since they require 2 big projects to be modified. especially when you realize D3D is use case not everyone wants it on their system

Comment

Originally posted by _SXX_ View Post
        Yeah that would be extremely interesting for Nouveau because it's can get more driver testers. Everyone who interesting should check this awesome video (and comment under it):
        http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZBRvrssenuc
        That's amazing! How? Why? When? Oh June 20th, that's when.

Comment

That's amazing! How? Why? When? Oh June 20th, that's when.
          I just wonder what would happen if he can run it with fully working GPU reclocking and memory reclocking.

Comment

Time to pull out my Laptop with a 9600M GT. It has Mint 16 so I might as well go through to trouble and install 17 and try out the Nouveau drivers.

Comment

Originally posted by Ardje View Post
              Anyway: if it wasn't for that I still would be using my HD4890, since the 2D on the opensource drivers runs circles around the fglrx version.
              Phoronix did some tests recently showing Catalyst to kick butt in 2d performance. But you're right: 2d performance with compositing enabled (kwin here) feels ridiculously slow compared to the open source driver.

Comment

Nouveau guys: congrats, you are awesome!

Comment

Working...
                X