Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: Open-Source AMD Users Report Hawaii GPU Acceleration Is Working

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    15,419

    Default Open-Source AMD Users Report Hawaii GPU Acceleration Is Working

    Phoronix: Open-Source AMD Users Report Hawaii GPU Acceleration Is Working

    In continuation of the Phoronix article from a few days ago about the open-source AMD Linux driver should finally be working for R9 290 "Hawaii" graphics cards, it is indeed the case but it's not without some setup challenges and potential bugs...

    http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTc1MDU

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    280

    Default how many years open driver is?

    Quote Originally Posted by phoronix View Post
    Phoronix: Open-Source AMD Users Report Hawaii GPU Acceleration Is Working

    In continuation of the Phoronix article from a few days ago about the open-source AMD Linux driver should finally be working for R9 290 "Hawaii" graphics cards, it is indeed the case but it's not without some setup challenges and potential bugs...

    http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTc1MDU
    this stuff is going on and on and on.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    53

    Default

    What about with the R9 295X2?

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    250

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by My8th View Post
    What about with the R9 295X2?
    If it's work it's just will be detected as two separate GPUs.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    1,091

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dimko View Post
    this stuff is going on and on and on.
    Oh yeah because it's not like the quality of support hasn't been getting better and better over time, with new hardware being supported faster and faster. The fact is 5 years ago the graphics support was in a crap state. Today outside of a few corner cases radeon is in good shape and provides a better overall experience than either the Nvidia or AMD blobs (perfect suspend-resume for example, backlight controls actually work, no tearing, etc). Full openGL compliance with the current standardard looks to be close, and as a testament to the FOSS driver, AMD is going to be shifting Catalyst over to using the radeon kernel driver.

    Once they've finished clearing the backlog of OpenGL, OpenCL, Mantle, etc then they're actually going to have the time to perfect quick new hardware bringup, and things like performance (and I would imagine that AMD would be throwing more resources at them at that point, because that should be the point where they can support their workstation users on it). in another 5 years time, I expect radeon to have gone from good to essentially perfect

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    1,189

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by _SXX_ View Post
    If it's work it's just will be detected as two separate GPUs.
    well, it will be always detected and used as 2 separated GPUs with any OS or driver and the same is true for nVidia cards, remember SLI and Crossfire are essentially done at software not in hardware.

    Today FOSS drivers are able to handle multiple GPU and render independently, chained or even selectively per APP(wayland ofc, in X is a mess either way), so the only thing actually missing is the software side of things to actually split the load across several GPUs.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    250

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jrch2k8 View Post
    well, it will be always detected and used as 2 separated GPUs with any OS or driver and the same is true for nVidia cards, remember SLI and Crossfire are essentially done at software not in hardware.

    Today FOSS drivers are able to handle multiple GPU and render independently, chained or even selectively per APP(wayland ofc, in X is a mess either way), so he only thing actually missing is the software side of things to actually split the load across several GPUs.
    Yeah I know that, agd5f explained it pretty well few times.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •