Linus Torvalds On GCC 4.9: Pure & Utter Crap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by sdack View Post
    It is not sympathy he is lacking, but wisdom.
    +1

The message you have entered is too short. Please lengthen your message to at least 5 characters.

Comment

Torvalds went on to say, "Note the contents of -136(%rbp). Seriously. That's an _immediate_constant_ that the compiler is spilling. Somebody needs to raise that as a gcc bug. Because it damn well is some seriously crazy shit."

Yeah and you know what they say on the forums. If you got a problem "Fix it yourself!"

Hurts the worst when it hits home.

Somebody is you buddy!

Comment

Originally posted by milkylainen View Post
        First off.
        This is just ridiculous. Posting a GCC bug and Torvalds whining about GCC? I think this gets picked as an article because of Michaels utterly biased position against GCC. Clang/LLVM/whatever is oooh so shiny! GCC broken, bah, bleh etc.
        This mantra repeats itself in every article posted by Michael.

Also:
        Linus rants about a million things all the time. Right or wrong, this is his style. GCC getting broken the last couple of releases is nothing new.
        They have been feeling the "OOOH SHINY" pressure from Clang/LLVM for quite some time now. This leads to more flashy features getting pushed with code generation correctness (more bugs introduced) taking a back seat.

In the end, this leads to some idiot bugs Linus is complaining about. In this case I couldn't agree more. I have also been pushing the same mantra about compiler correctness. It takes precedence over all shiny features. I could not care less about speedy compilers or blaha features if it does not get code generation right (adherence to flags, abi's etc).

Debugging your broken output is a nightmare coming true. It creates an insecurity about the generated code. If it broke this, what else did it break I have yet to discover?
        The amount of self-righteous anti-anything-new morons on these forums are amazing.

GCC is and have always been a big pile of dog shit, if you can't admit this, you're either a hypocrite, didn't have glibc blow in your face or just an idiot that's using 4 years old version of it with 100 different backported patches.

Michael posts benchmarks all the time against clang, but guess what, as a compiler, clang is superior to gcc, live with it, also I'll bet money you're anti-systemd too, also guess what? it's better than init, deal with it and pull your head out of your ass.

Comment

Originally posted by squirrl View Post
          Torvalds went on to say, "Note the contents of -136(%rbp). Seriously. That's an _immediate_constant_ that the compiler is spilling. Somebody needs to raise that as a gcc bug. Because it damn well is some seriously crazy shit."

Yeah and you know what they say on the forums. If you got a problem "Fix it yourself!"

Hurts the worst when it hits home.

Somebody is you buddy!
          He did open a bug. Right here - https://gcc.gnu.org/bugzilla/show_bug.cgi?id=61904

Comment

Yes lately I get the impression that some people get payed by Apple or M$ to break thinks. Only look at udev. Such a can of bugs should never have been integrated.

Comment

Originally posted by mike4 View Post
              Yes lately I get the impression that some people get payed by Apple or M$ to break thinks.
              Of course is a conspiracy. And both pay millions of ppl for talk against GNU/Linux and Apple.

Comment

Originally posted by kaprikawn View Post
                This is why I like Linus, not pussyfooting around, he just tells it like it is
                Wow, stop right there - when i tell people the truth, these basterds just ban me, but when some old men tells the same thing, its cool ?????

Comment

Originally posted by milkylainen View Post
                  In the end, this leads to some idiot bugs Linus is complaining about. In this case I couldn't agree more. I have also been pushing the same mantra about compiler correctness. It takes precedence over all shiny features. I could not care less about speedy compilers or blaha features if it does not get code generation right (adherence to flags, abi's etc).
                  On the other hand, some bugs are more serious than others. For all that Linus vented on this one, my interpretation is that it's a pretty niche bug... it's a case where the kernel violates ABI, and while it does so for legit reasons (related to being a kernel), it's the kind of edge case that could easily go unnoticed when testing.

Comment

Originally posted by startzz View Post
                    Wow, stop right there - when i tell people the truth, these basterds just ban me, but when some old men tells the same thing, its cool ?????
                    Well duh, it has always been about how much influence you have.

Comment

I think we have to take linus hate words as love words... what is the project he got most hate in the past, at least recent years, yes gnome(shell).

What do we see on his last workplace video on his desktop u can guess 1 time

Maybe we should not wonder that he talkes shit like a random guy sitting in the basement, looking at his homeoffice it looks cracy "normal" and small. his creation powers more systems than windows but he works and lives like my dad who was a insurance agent. I think even my dads homeoffice (he worked self-employed) is bigger than linus work place.

Comment

Working...
                      X