Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Linus Torvalds On GCC 4.9: Pure & Utter Crap

Phoronix: Linus Torvalds On GCC 4.9: Pure & Utter Crap

Linus Torvalds' latest tirade is over the GCC 4.9 code compiler...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

This is why I like Linus, not pussyfooting around, he just tells it like it is

Comment

"Gcc is crap" - Linus, 2006

Comment

I am using Debian too and gcc-4.9.1 currently, but i did not building my kernels with CONFIG_CC_OPTIMIZE_FOR_SIZE so -Os, so not got this issue -O2 does not trigger an issue .

It might be gcc isn't the problem , but because Debian recently switching from eglibc to glibc . -Os was good supported in eglibc, but not in glibc .
        Last edited by dungeon; 26 July 2014, 12:51 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by dungeon View Post
          I am using Debian too and gcc-4.9.1 currently, but i did not building my kernels with CONFIG_CC_OPTIMIZE_FOR_SIZE so -Os, so not got this issue -O2 does not trigger an issue .

It might be gcc isn't the problem , but because Debian recently switching from eglibc to glibc . -Os was good supported in eglibc, but not in glibc .
          No, it's a gcc bug introduced in 4.5.0
          The bad compiler versions are 4.5.0 (when debug_insn came in) to 4.8.3 and 4.9.0 and 4.9.1.
          --https://gcc.gnu.org/bugzilla/show_bug.cgi?id=61904

Comment

So it is fixed

Not sure why Michael Danzer triggers it: Debian has 4.9.1 up to the SVN 20140724 (r213031) that fix is included there
            Last edited by dungeon; 26 July 2014, 01:15 PM.

Comment

From my point of view gcc is getting worse with every single major version (meaning the "x" in 4.x). Since 4.6 (which was quite decent IIRC), I have been facing lots of miscompilations caused by gcc emiting wrong code. With gcc 4.9 it even stopped accepting a valid C++ code from one of my projects. On the bright side ? after pointing out the commit which broke the compilation it was fixed quite promptly.

Comment

Originally posted by dungeon View Post
                So it is fixed

Not sure why Michael Danzer triggers it: Debian has 4.9.1 up to the SVN 20140724 (r213031) that fix is included there
                It is now fixed in the 4.8.3-6 as well which has SVN 20140725 (r213051), so not an issue anymore .

So it is usual stuff in development *shit happens* . It is only funny because Linus gets angry 8 days after fix is applied .
                Last edited by dungeon; 26 July 2014, 02:07 PM.

Comment

Linus is turning into an idiot

It is open source and when he does not like it can he choose not to use it, or to try and fix it. It is the same for everyone and for all open source projects. Was this not the point from the start?

He then does not need gcc-4.9 when gcc-4.8 did the job for him just fine. Not to mention his dislike for LTO, which makes his attempt at switching to 4.9 look incompetent, because 4.9 is all about bringing stability to this new feature. So what exactly is it he wants with 4.9 if it is not just for getting a free update?

So now there is a bug in gcc-4.9, and it makes some of the output look silly. So what? The GNU C Compiler Collection is a huge and complex project. Surely it is understandable to every programmer that a bug can trigger all sorts of strange and unexpected behaviours. Why break into a rage over it?

Linus needs to take a step back. His behaviour is irrational. He is being rude and emo-rages over other people's code like a 14-year old boy. Linus is showing more often signs of a tyrant and acts like the Bill Gates of the past in fact. Did we not learn anything from this?

I hope to see less of his current behaviour on the news, because it is only terrible for the whole community when their leaders turn openly into idiots. From my experience does it not lead to better code, but causes trouble in the community. It is often a sign for a coming change in leadership, because nobody really wants to contribute to a project run by an idiot for long.

Comment

Originally posted by sdack View Post

Linus needs to take a step back. His behaviour is irrational. He is being rude and emo-rages over other people's code like a 14-year old boy. Linus is showing more often signs of a tyrant and acts like the Bill Gates of the past in fact. Did we not learn anything from this?
                    Torvalds and Gates act and behave nothing alike.

I hope to see less of his current behaviour on the news, because it is only terrible for the whole community when their leaders turn openly into idiots. From my experience does it not lead to better code, but causes trouble in the community. It is often a sign for a coming change in leadership, because nobody really wants to contribute to a project run by an idiot for long.
                    Linux and OpenBSD have been proving you wrong for over 20 years now.

Comment

Working...
                    X