Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 81

Thread: Linus Torvalds On GCC 4.9: Pure & Utter Crap

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    14,787

    Default Linus Torvalds On GCC 4.9: Pure & Utter Crap

    Phoronix: Linus Torvalds On GCC 4.9: Pure & Utter Crap

    Linus Torvalds' latest tirade is over the GCC 4.9 code compiler...

    http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTc1MDQ

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    199

    Default

    This is why I like Linus, not pussyfooting around, he just tells it like it is

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    321

    Default

    "Gcc is crap" - Linus, 2006

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    936

    Default

    I am using Debian too and gcc-4.9.1 currently, but i did not building my kernels with CONFIG_CC_OPTIMIZE_FOR_SIZE so -Os, so not got this issue -O2 does not trigger an issue .

    It might be gcc isn't the problem , but because Debian recently switching from eglibc to glibc . -Os was good supported in eglibc, but not in glibc .
    Last edited by dungeon; 07-26-2014 at 12:51 PM.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    117

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dungeon View Post
    I am using Debian too and gcc-4.9.1 currently, but i did not building my kernels with CONFIG_CC_OPTIMIZE_FOR_SIZE so -Os, so not got this issue -O2 does not trigger an issue .

    It might be gcc isn't the problem , but because Debian recently switching from eglibc to glibc . -Os was good supported in eglibc, but not in glibc .
    No, it's a gcc bug introduced in 4.5.0
    The bad compiler versions are 4.5.0 (when debug_insn came in) to 4.8.3 and 4.9.0 and 4.9.1.
    --https://gcc.gnu.org/bugzilla/show_bug.cgi?id=61904

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    936

    Default

    So it is fixed

    https://gcc.gnu.org/bugzilla/show_bug.cgi?id=61801

    Not sure why Michael Danzer triggers it: Debian has 4.9.1 up to the SVN 20140724 (r213031) that fix is included there
    Last edited by dungeon; 07-26-2014 at 01:15 PM.

  7. #7

    Default

    From my point of view gcc is getting worse with every single major version (meaning the "x" in 4.x). Since 4.6 (which was quite decent IIRC), I have been facing lots of miscompilations caused by gcc emiting wrong code. With gcc 4.9 it even stopped accepting a valid C++ code from one of my projects. On the bright side after pointing out the commit which broke the compilation it was fixed quite promptly.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    936

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dungeon View Post
    So it is fixed

    https://gcc.gnu.org/bugzilla/show_bug.cgi?id=61801

    Not sure why Michael Danzer triggers it: Debian has 4.9.1 up to the SVN 20140724 (r213031) that fix is included there
    It is now fixed in the 4.8.3-6 as well which has SVN 20140725 (r213051), so not an issue anymore .

    So it is usual stuff in development *shit happens* . It is only funny because Linus gets angry 8 days after fix is applied .
    Last edited by dungeon; 07-26-2014 at 02:07 PM.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    219

    Default Linus is turning into an idiot

    It is open source and when he does not like it can he choose not to use it, or to try and fix it. It is the same for everyone and for all open source projects. Was this not the point from the start?

    He then does not need gcc-4.9 when gcc-4.8 did the job for him just fine. Not to mention his dislike for LTO, which makes his attempt at switching to 4.9 look incompetent, because 4.9 is all about bringing stability to this new feature. So what exactly is it he wants with 4.9 if it is not just for getting a free update?

    So now there is a bug in gcc-4.9, and it makes some of the output look silly. So what? The GNU C Compiler Collection is a huge and complex project. Surely it is understandable to every programmer that a bug can trigger all sorts of strange and unexpected behaviours. Why break into a rage over it?

    Linus needs to take a step back. His behaviour is irrational. He is being rude and emo-rages over other people's code like a 14-year old boy. Linus is showing more often signs of a tyrant and acts like the Bill Gates of the past in fact. Did we not learn anything from this?

    I hope to see less of his current behaviour on the news, because it is only terrible for the whole community when their leaders turn openly into idiots. From my experience does it not lead to better code, but causes trouble in the community. It is often a sign for a coming change in leadership, because nobody really wants to contribute to a project run by an idiot for long.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    156

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sdack View Post

    Linus needs to take a step back. His behaviour is irrational. He is being rude and emo-rages over other people's code like a 14-year old boy. Linus is showing more often signs of a tyrant and acts like the Bill Gates of the past in fact. Did we not learn anything from this?
    Torvalds and Gates act and behave nothing alike.

    I hope to see less of his current behaviour on the news, because it is only terrible for the whole community when their leaders turn openly into idiots. From my experience does it not lead to better code, but causes trouble in the community. It is often a sign for a coming change in leadership, because nobody really wants to contribute to a project run by an idiot for long.
    Linux and OpenBSD have been proving you wrong for over 20 years now.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •