Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 32

Thread: Disappointing...

  1. #11
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    2,132

    Default

    Well, I have been using a R580 since it came out more than 2 years ago and therefore I know about the state of fglrx very well. It is improving every month, but the improvements are getting bigger and faster every month. To be honest, I don't think Crossfire support is far away now, even if I can't proof anything, just guess. Furthermore, the performance of AMD really is not all that bad. You can get a fast Phenom X4 9850 BE for about 165€ here in Germany, with the Phenom X4 9550 avaible at about 135€. The upcoming RV770 will be the best single GPU graphic cards avaible (don't tell me about nVidia GT200... price, heat, power consumption!).

    What about waiting 1-3 more months and have a look at what improvements the fglrx will make in only that time?

  2. #12
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Bulgaria
    Posts
    269

    Default

    Don't worry guys, I think everything will be fine for R1000

  3. #13
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    370

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by d2kx View Post
    Well, I have been using a R580 since it came out more than 2 years ago and therefore I know about the state of fglrx very well. It is improving every month, but the improvements are getting bigger and faster every month. To be honest, I don't think Crossfire support is far away now, even if I can't proof anything, just guess. Furthermore, the performance of AMD really is not all that bad. You can get a fast Phenom X4 9850 BE for about 165€ here in Germany, with the Phenom X4 9550 avaible at about 135€. The upcoming RV770 will be the best single GPU graphic cards avaible (don't tell me about nVidia GT200... price, heat, power consumption!).

    What about waiting 1-3 more months and have a look at what improvements the fglrx will make in only that time?
    Yes... after how many years of fglrx, does it even detect and set resolution properly?

    im sorry, but as far as what i can see, fglrx is an abysmal failure and disgrace. I full well realize that resolution detection isnt really a crucial feature as for most people here, but its something so basic that it better damn work. Or at the very least, if it cannot properly detect, it should fall back to something sensible, instead of 1680x1050... Also, the stuff like xvideo tearing and stuff, is really becoming quite tiresome, this stuff should just work, no excuses, just work, the fact that it doesent is simply so distasteful that there exists no words for it.

  4. #14
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    2,132

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Redeeman View Post
    Yes... after how many years of fglrx, does it even detect and set resolution properly?

    im sorry, but as far as what i can see, fglrx is an abysmal failure and disgrace. I full well realize that resolution detection isnt really a crucial feature as for most people here, but its something so basic that it better damn work. Or at the very least, if it cannot properly detect, it should fall back to something sensible, instead of 1680x1050... Also, the stuff like xvideo tearing and stuff, is really becoming quite tiresome, this stuff should just work, no excuses, just work, the fact that it doesent is simply so distasteful that there exists no words for it.
    Since R500 support was introduced with fglrx 8.25.8, I've had a lot of problems. Setting the correct resolution was not one of them. Speaking of today, I do not have *any* problems with latest fglrx drivers. Everything works.

    #edit: Maybe interesting: Auto-overclock for AMD Phenom Black Editions coming:

    http://www.tgdaily.com/html_tmp/cont...37816-135.html
    Last edited by d2kx; 06-06-2008 at 01:37 PM.

  5. #15
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Bulgaria
    Posts
    269

    Default

    The only good things I've seen from this driver recently are:
    1) They removed the annoying bottom corner corruption/mouse corruption
    2) Massive 3d upgrade
    3) AIGLX support (and for the record, compiz still runs better on my roommate's laptop, whose card is at least 2 times weaker than mine.

    Things I still lack:

    1) Proper resolution/refresh rate detection
    2) Video
    3) Well, I haven't done big tests or something, but still, a game like Postal 2 just doesn't run very smoothly, rather jumpy.
    4) Faster 2d, anyone?
    5) To outperform my roommate's compiz results.

    So... they've been doing some good things. As far as what I lack -- can't really tell if they'll better anything.

    But still, I like you, John

    Anyways, last night I even had dreams about AMD/ATi and graphics cards. This is how they're underneath my skin

  6. #16
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    2,132

    Default

    Well, are you sure there are still resolution/refresh rate detection problems? Maybe it's only wrong EDID data of your monitor... have you tried another one or do you have got the same problems with nvidia?

    What exactly do you mean with Video as a problem area?

    AIGLX & 2D have drastically improved with Catalyst 8.5 and are very usable now. You should check for bad options in your xorg.conf. But yes, there is still room for improvements, definitly.

    3D works fine for me, but I can't comment for cards other than mine. Which one do you have got?

    ---

    The reason I am asking is, I know several people that claimed how bad the fglrx driver is for months until I have talked to them and found out their xorg.conf etc. were causing these problems...

  7. #17
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Bulgaria
    Posts
    269

    Default

    I just remembered the dream I had. I dreamed that AMD/Ati is running a program in which John Bridgeman visits different clients to see first hand what problems the fgrlx is causing, hehe (not kidding).

    1) I am sure about this resolution thing. (I have to manually edit my xorg). As far as I remember, the monitor worked good with nvidia and linux. Do not have another monitor.
    2) By video I mean that the Windows driver blows out fglrx in terms of performance on my machine.
    3) I used only once compiz when fglrx brough AIGLX on the scene for the first time. The 2nd time was with 8.5 and I can confirm that things are way better now.

    4) I have M X1600. It does detect my internal display just fine, but my laptop always runs with the external VGA which is never detected fine.

    I know that according to people they have no video/resolution problems anymore, but I bet they don't have mobility radeons.

    John, are extensive tests being performed on mobility radeons?
    Last edited by sundown; 06-06-2008 at 04:36 PM.

  8. #18
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    /dev/hell
    Posts
    297

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sundown View Post
    John, are extensive tests being performed on mobility radeons?
    I would like to know it, too XD

    On secondary monitor i get a lot of problems with fglrx.

    Big desktop is impossible, with DVI i get scrambled output on secondary monitor and detection of modes on it doesn't work.

    it's some kind of a hell when coming to use an external monitor.

    I'm using Mobility Radeon HD2600 (M76)... the same old one with 512MB of Video ram, that the catalyst control center detects as 128MB :-P

    [edit]
    I forgot to say, that if you would like to see what happens, i could provide you some photos :-D with a detailed description of the issues (yes issues, not issue) :-)
    And i can sure you that uder windows everything works fine and smoothly!
    Last edited by Vighy; 06-06-2008 at 04:36 PM.

  9. #19
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    11

    Default

    Since the driver seems to work fine - at least 3D-acceleration, I'd like the following features to arrive:

    - proper V-Sync support (no more tearing, not even with compiz as nvidia does since one year)
    - kill diagonal tearing
    - no more tearing

    - did I even mention TEARING?!


    And:
    - Faster 2D
    - Faster 2D with compiz active (Firefox is unusable with compiz activated. With my nvidia card it's smooth as silk, even if compiz is active! Maybe due their own AIGLX-implementation??)


    Dennis

  10. #20
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Bulgaria
    Posts
    269

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DeeZiD View Post
    - Faster 2D with compiz active (Firefox is unusable with compiz activated. With my nvidia card it's smooth as silk, even if compiz is active! Maybe due their own AIGLX-implementation??)


    Dennis
    Firefox works fine for me with 8.5.

    But yeah, kill the tearing and sign agreements with Bollywood next time

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •