Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Guix 0.7 Can Now Install The GNU Operating System

Phoronix: Guix 0.7 Can Now Install The GNU Operating System

The Guix package manager that's designed to be a purely-functional package manager for GNU with an emphasis on being dependable, hackable, and liberating is out with its latest release...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

What means purely-functional package manager?

Why doesn't GNU use an existing package manager?

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post

Becuase GNU supporters will NEVER accept linux as "THE" GNU operating system and ecosystem. To them, Linux is still a temperary OS that stole thier limelight, and their true Lord and savior "Hurd" will show these Linux noobs what a truely free OS is like, and all will use it and become vegans and praise Stallman.

(This is a joke post, in case you didn't get it)

Comment

They do. it is based on NixOS package manager.
        What I don't understand is that Nix pkg mgr should be based on bundles, while taking a list of packages on savannah shows that we still have the usual packages granularity. But maybe I'm missing something.

Comment

Originally posted by JustADirtyLurker View Post
          They do. it is based on NixOS package manager.
          What I don't understand is that Nix pkg mgr should be based on bundles, while taking a list of packages on savannah shows that we still have the usual packages granularity. But maybe I'm missing something.
          It's not based on bundles. It doesn't accomplish the purely functional goal by losing any dependency sharing between packages. It does it by putting a hash of the dependency versions (recursively) / package version in the directory the package is stored. All references to external dependencies are made via symlinks. Installing a new version of any package doesn't need to modify any existing packages, and then a garbage collection cycle can be run at some point to remove the unused packages.
          Last edited by strcat; 25 July 2014, 03:11 PM.

Comment

Given that for how hard you try hardware vendors will continue more or less at releasing "proprietary" hardware, I ask my self: what's the purpose of GNU Hurd? It's just a dream for a world that will never come. Face it!

Also, directly on their home page: "The GNU Hurd is under active development. Because of that, there is no stable version."

What a joke! They should just admit they lack man power and interest from the community. Instead they say it's not stable because its under active development!!! What bullshit!
            Last edited by bulletxt; 25 July 2014, 06:16 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by bulletxt View Post
              Given that for how hard you try hardware vendors will continue more or less at releasing "proprietary" hardware, I ask my self: what's the purpose of GNU Hurd? It's just a dream for a world that will never come. Face it!

Also, directly on their home page: "The GNU Hurd is under active development. Because of that, there is no stable version."

What a joke! They should just admit they lack man power and interest from the community. Instead they say it's not stable because its under active development!!! What bullshit!
              Well, there is no stable version, and there probably wont be for a while. Would you prefer they left that out, and have people on their mailing list every other day asking when the next stable release is? While it's related to the amount of people working on the project, removing that statement won't change anything.

Adding "we need more developers" probably wouldn't help any either, because anyone interested is probably already working on it, or anyone who might be interested but isn't working on it probably hasn't heard of it. If you can't figure out how active development is by looking at the commit log or mailing list, then you probably wouldn't be much help anyway.

Comment

Comment

I was also very curious and found this from the manual

Originally posted by GNU Guix Reference Manual
                  The term functional refers to a specific package management discipline. In Guix, the package build and installation process is seen as a function, in the mathematical sense. That function takes inputs, such as build scripts, a compiler, and libraries, and returns an installed package. As a pure function, its result depends solely on its inputs—for instance, it cannot refer to software or scripts that were not explicitly passed as inputs. A build function always produces the same result when passed a given set of inputs. It cannot alter the system’s environment in any way; for instance, it cannot create, modify, or delete files outside of its build and installation directories. This is achieved by running build processes in isolated environments (or containers), where only their explicit inputs are visible.

Comment

Originally posted by bulletxt View Post
                    Given that for how hard you try hardware vendors will continue more or less at releasing "proprietary" hardware, I ask my self: what's the purpose of GNU Hurd? It's just a dream for a world that will never come.
                    I think it more of an academic and experimental exercise at this point.

Hmm, never really had much of an issue with current package managers aside from a few trivial versioning issues. Interesting concept nonetheless.

Comment

Working...
                    X