Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Open-Source AMD Hawaii Support Should Now Be Working!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Open-Source AMD Hawaii Support Should Now Be Working!

Phoronix: Open-Source AMD Hawaii Support Should Now Be Working!

After renewed pressure on open-source AMD 3D support not working, it seems they've finally managed to get the Radeon R9 290 series graphics cards working on the open-source Linux driver between some updated GPU microcode and kernel driver changes...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

will _supposedly_ work?

As in: "you can try it at your own risk, but it can fry your shiny new gfx card"

Comment

Originally posted by wargames View Post
      As in: "you can try it at your own risk, but it can fry your shiny new gfx card"
      Not sure where you come up with the idea that it might fry something. More like not enabled by default because its not yet RELIABLE.

Also @phoronix: this development CLEARLY had NOTHING AT ALL to do with your complaining. Do not try to take credit for this, you had absolutely NOTHING to do with it.

Comment

Most drivers can fry/brick the hardware they are supposed to manage. There was a few years ago a bug in an Intel network driver that bricked some cards. But there is no indication that this one is any more prone to do it then any other.

Comment

Originally posted by wargames View Post
          The initial bug report was because it wouldn't get acceleration working. This change updates the microcode, now it appears to be working. Yes, theoretically, if AMD completely botched the microcode update then YES it could fry your card (botched to the point of "oops, I accidentally cut off my arm"). But I'd be willing to bet my shiny new desktop that they DIDNT screw it up that bad, if at all.
          All opinions are my own not those of my employer if you know who they are.

Comment

Radeon microcode is shared between Catalyst and readeon drivers.
            (And not that radeon crew is up to speed, they are involved in microcode development from the beginning, too. So bugs that require microcode fixes will be solved quicker)

Comment

Finally!

Wow, finally! Hopefully it works. Looking forward for new Phoronix benchmarks - it's just damn interesting how one of the world-fastest GPUs would perform with opensource drivers.

Comment

Originally posted by droidhacker View Post
                Originally posted by phoronix View Post
                Phoronix: Open-Source AMD Hawaii Support Should Now Be Working!

After renewed pressure on open-source AMD 3D support not working, it seems they've finally managed to get the Radeon R9 290 series graphics cards working on the open-source Linux driver between some updated GPU microcode and kernel driver changes...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTc0OTM
                @phoronix: this development CLEARLY had NOTHING AT ALL to do with your complaining. Do not try to take credit for this, you had absolutely NOTHING to do with it.
                You just assumed, that Phoronix assumed, it was because of them writing about it. What I think: It had a minor role to play. I found it helpful that Phoronix tells us it's not working so I don't go out and install Linux (with an r9 290) only to find out that the open-source graphics are not really working right.

You'll notice that Phoronix often reports on things that are happening in the developer community, and reported several times on this issue because a developer had brought it up again and was like: We have to get this working!

Comment

Originally posted by profoundWHALE View Post
                  You just assumed, that Phoronix assumed, it was because of them writing about it. What I think: It had a minor role to play. I found it helpful that Phoronix tells us it's not working so I don't go out and install Linux (with an r9 290) only to find out that the open-source graphics are not really working right.

You'll notice that Phoronix often reports on things that are happening in the developer community, and reported several times on this issue because a developer had brought it up again and was like: We have to get this working!

To set the record straight, the issue was found by Red Hat not by AMD, AMD only confirmed issue in closed source firmware for which only AMD has the source. If the issue was being work on by Red Hat this is because we have bug open against RHEL for it, this is as simple as that.

Just another point is that this show that open source driver is better solution as it allows other players to fix bug by themself without waiting for anyone.

Comment

I can confirm that it works on Fedora 20 with kernel-drm-3.17-wip + glamor 0.6 + patched git ddx, although not reliably.
                    I can see gdm login screen, but I soon as I enter my session, Xorg hangs (but not the whole system).
                    If I use startx and bypass gdm, I can access to gnome shell but when I start gnome-terminal, Xorg hangs too.

On the other hand it's a drm WIP branch of kernel 3.17, I think such issues are to be expected.
                    Anyways thank for solving the issue !

Comment

Working...
                    X