Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Linux Developers Jump Quickly On ACPI 5.1, Helps Out ARM

Phoronix: Linux Developers Jump Quickly On ACPI 5.1, Helps Out ARM

Fresh off the release of ACPI 5.1 by the UEFI Forum, Linux developers are updating their support against this latest revision to the Advanced Configuration and Power Interface. In particular, ACPI 5.1 is supposed to help out ARM...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

How many ARM boards are running on UEFI? This sounds really counterintuitive. If anything there should be a push for coreboot or openfirmware at the very least on ARM. I wonder what Mark Shuttleworth has to say about this? If anyone's curious http://www.markshuttleworth.com/archives/1332 is what I'm referencing. I really hope UEFI stays as an x86 thing, just look at all the drama Microsoft and secure boot has caused. No thanks!

Comment

i believe the sole reason acpi and uefi exist for arm/arm64 is windows. arm wants windows available on arm/arm64 as well, and
      it'll be a freezing cold year in hell before ms is going to entangle the windows kernel from all the bios/acpi crap.

Comment

Am I supposed to know what ACPI is without googling it?

Comment

Speaking about ARM unification:

ARM 'Server Base System Architecture' (SBSA) specification
          Arm Newsroom contains the latest press releases, partner and Arm-related news and social media from the industry leader in microprocessor Intellectual Property.

Comment

Originally posted by kaprikawn View Post
            Unlike most abbreviated terms on this site, ACPI is a pretty common one. Not knowing it is kind of the same idea as not knowing what SCSI is - doesn't mean you are directly involved with it on a regular basis but most people in the computer field have heard of it and have a general idea of what it is.

Comment

If you're interested enough to read this site, yeah, you should know what ACPI is without resorting to google.

Comment

Why ACPI? isn't ACPI a complete mess? Who hasn't had a bug related to ACPI?

Comment

Really? Shall we explain what IDE and SATA are? How about USB? Maybe BIOS? Jeez.

Comment

ACPI

ACPI is one of the reasons why Microsoft has a majority market share. If manufacturers comply with standards, the world would be better. Then it turns out is so that Windows notebook with the battery lasts four hours as Linux 3 hours.

Comment

Working...
                    X