Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: GOG.com Officially Starts Rolling Out Linux Games

Quote Originally Posted by shmerl View Post
    (GOG is owned by CD Projekt Red so it's really for the later).
    To be exact GOG (online shop) and CD Project Red (game developer) are owned by CD Project (the publisher) AFAIK.
    Also I'm pretty sure that Wither 3 will have linux port. But if it will be native... who knows?

Quote Originally Posted by RealNC View Post
    Nah, thanks. I prefer my games on Steam. They just download, run and update automatically. Installers are so 90's....
    You're right, installers are for twits (including the Steam installer)

Code:
    $ tar -xzf game-1.1.8-linux-amd64.tar.gz
    You can also replace it with a newer version by simply extracting a newer package in its place. I guess this system is 80's but then again, most of the good code came from the 80's anyway.

Why do people (not just gamers) generally not like software provided in this manner?

Quote Originally Posted by konserw View Post
    To be exact GOG (online shop) and CD Project Red (game developer) are owned by CD Project (the publisher) AFAIK.
    Also I'm pretty sure that Wither 3 will have linux port. But if it will be native... who knows?
    That publisher is the formal company created by CD Projekt Red for self publishing They are one and the same, so in essence GOG is owned by CDPR.

Quote Originally Posted by RealNC View Post
    Nah, thanks. I prefer my games on Steam. They just download, run and update automatically. Installers are so 90's....

Maybe if their forthcoming client can compete with that, then maybe.
    The first time I read it I was sure you were kidding.
    Now, for some reason, I'm not so sure...

Quote Originally Posted by kpedersen View Post
    Why do people (not just gamers) generally not like software provided in this manner?
    For the same reason people like apt-get, zypper, yum, portage, and other package managers rather than doing everything by hand. It keeps track of everything for you.

Quote Originally Posted by shmerl View Post
    That publisher is the formal company created by CD Projekt Red for self publishing They are one and the same, so in essence GOG is owned by CDPR.
    Actually CD Projekt RED was founded by the parent company CD Projekt, which was founded in 1994, but they merged with CD Projekt RED since then and what use to be CD Projekt as been renamed cdp.pl and everything is now a subsidiary of CD Projekt RED, since 2011.

Quote Originally Posted by Daktyl198 View Post
    I'm very disappointed and very sad that Neverwinter Nights (the first one) isn't on this list.
    Why, that game's sole saving grace are the tasteful rape mods that are available for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Daktyl198 View Post
    I'm very disappointed and very sad that Neverwinter Nights (the first one) isn't on this list. The Linux client still works for the most part, the only thing they'd have to really get working are movies and sound on Pulse. I'm really looking forward to this...
    Guess I'll have to wait for the next 50
    You are making a big assumption that Bioware is going to play ball there... a very big assumption.

Quote Originally Posted by Apopas View Post
    The first time I read it I was sure you were kidding.
    Now, for some reason, I'm not so sure...
    No, I wasn't kidding. Steam is just too convenient. It is the most convenient way of managing games that I ever came across. I just click on the game, done. I don't have to manage anything. No installer, no updater. It does all on its own. I have 160 games, about 50 of them are currently installed. I have no desire to manually apply updates for the games. I also have no desire to figure out savegame locations between Windows and Linux. Steam Cloud just syncs my save games on every machine. All on its own, without any external software. That is *so* damn convenient. Sorry GOG. You can't compete with that.

This is the reason why people accept Steam, even though it makes no effort to discourage DRM. In fact, it promotes it. This pretty much means that people prefer convenience over anything else, including lack of DRM. Give them something that is convenient, and they forget all about DRM.

I really, really hope that GOG's client will be able to compete with that.
    Last edited by RealNC; 07-25-2014 at 10:53 PM.

From the Linux FAQ:
    Some AMD video cards (notably the Radeon HD series) are known to work much better with open source drivers. If you encounter any problems running our games, it may be a good idea to consider using the open source alternative.
    Since Intel does not provide official drivers for Linux, your only option is to use open source community drivers.
    http://www.gog.com/support/pinball_g...s_should_i_use
    Last edited by Hamish Wilson; 07-26-2014 at 12:08 PM.