Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 32

Thread: GOG.com Officially Starts Rolling Out Linux Games

  1. #11
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    379

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by discordian View Post
    Gog client, are you kidding? The very reason I buy on gog is because there is no such nonsense.
    And yes they should work fine on Ubuntu (exceptions of course possibly)
    http://www.gog.com/downloader
    and apparently it is not.

  2. #12
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    256

    Default

    God I hope the GOG games I've got get released, come on Cannon Fodder, or any Bullfrog game (Syndicate preferably)...

  3. #13
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    68

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by peppercats View Post
    http://www.gog.com/downloader
    and apparently it is not.
    Well, if you say "client" I assume some app you need to use for the games, not some optional "downloader" (most browsers can resume croken dl just fine so I dont see a big need for that kinda stuff).
    And apparently you already knew the answer.

    So maybe thats a lacking convienience factor for some, but I dont see clicking links as big hassle

  4. #14
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    128

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by discordian View Post
    Well, if you say "client" I assume some app you need to use for the games, not some optional "downloader" (most browsers can resume croken dl just fine so I dont see a big need for that kinda stuff).
    And apparently you already knew the answer.

    So maybe thats a lacking convienience factor for some, but I dont see clicking links as big hassle
    I haven't tried the GOG Downloader (being a Linux user) so I don't know exactly what it does, but the community lgogdownloader has been very convenient for maintaining a copy of my library on my hard drive. It has a bunch of options for filtering out what content you want, and it's able to detect and download only changed files and new games.

  5. #15
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    in front of my box :p
    Posts
    838

    Default

    Yes! Finally!

    What client? Never used the downloader, did it manually. No time yet to look into galaxy. But gog is famous for having a everything DRM free and I guess they keep to it so you will not need any clients. Thanks god. And thanks gog.

  6. #16
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Porto
    Posts
    275

    Default hm

    most of the games use wine or dosbox, but they work without troubles gj

  7. #17
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    379

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by rikkinho View Post
    most of the games use wine or dosbox, but they work without troubles gj
    they use dosbox on windows too fyi

  8. #18
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    367

    Default

    Some wishlist items relevant to Linux users:

    * Release GOG Galaxy as open source (optional updater / multiplayer client).
    * Document GOG Galaxy protocol to enable open alternatives.
    * Make a Linux port of the Witcher 3 (GOG is owned by CD Projekt Red so it's really for the later).
    * Use Tux logo rather than Ubuntu logo for indicating Linux games.
    * Use better compression in tarballs (now they use tar.gz).

  9. #19
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    441

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by peppercats View Post
    http://www.gog.com/downloader
    and apparently it is not.
    Well, the only thing that's really useful for is downloading/installing larger games (2+ GB that usually get split into several data files) and updating your games. Other than that, downloading and installing manually is just fine

    I'm very disappointed and very sad that Neverwinter Nights (the first one) isn't on this list. The Linux client still works for the most part, the only thing they'd have to really get working are movies and sound on Pulse. I'm really looking forward to this...
    Guess I'll have to wait for the next 50

  10. #20
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Greece
    Posts
    3,801

    Default

    Nah, thanks. I prefer my games on Steam. They just download, run and update automatically. Installers are so 90's....

    Maybe if their forthcoming client can compete with that, then maybe.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •