Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 16

Thread: Valve Is Still Hiring For SteamOS, Linux Work

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    14,827

    Default Valve Is Still Hiring For SteamOS, Linux Work

    Phoronix: Valve Is Still Hiring For SteamOS, Linux Work

    Valve has been poaching Linux developers for years and there's no sign of them slowing down, but in fact are still hiring...

    http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTc0ODA

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Sweden
    Posts
    307

    Default

    By "commercial software", do they mean software that is widely used? Because it's odd to ask for commerical software development experience for an open source project.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    550

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by xeekei View Post
    By "commercial software", do they mean software that is widely used? Because it's odd to ask for commerical software development experience for an open source project.
    Yeah, I think they mean "commercial" as in "real job". Meaning, a Suse, Canonical, RedHat, etc employee would be a "commercial" developer.

    I wonder what's the size of the SteamOS team by now!

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    550

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mendieta View Post
    Yeah, I think they mean "commercial" as in "real job". Meaning, a Suse, Canonical, RedHat, etc employee would be a "commercial" developer.
    Let me be clear, you can write commercial open source applications. The proper term is "proprietary" vs "open source", even though, many times, people use "commercial" as equivalent to "proprietary", which is wrong and muds the water. You can definitely make money around open source software. Cheers!

  5. #5
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Bucharest Romania
    Posts
    30

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mendieta View Post
    Let me be clear, you can write commercial open source applications. The proper term is "proprietary" vs "open source", even though, many times, people use "commercial" as equivalent to "proprietary", which is wrong and muds the water. You can definitely make money around open source software. Cheers!
    Hello,

    Can someone confirm whether Valve opensourced Steam? because from what i can understand, Steam OS = Debian + Steam + Valve middle-ware libraries.

    Just saying..

    Best,
    a.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Posts
    41

    Default

    Fixed title: Valve is still hiring for DRM on linux work.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    29

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by atari314 View Post
    Fixed title: Valve is still hiring for DRM on linux work.
    Direct rendering or digital restrictions?

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    525

    Default

    Note that you'll be fired very quickly again if you don't fit the company's culture, just like the many previous Linux devs there.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    112

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ancurio View Post
    Note that you'll be fired very quickly again if you don't fit the company's culture, just like the many previous Linux devs there.
    Not that I doubt what you write but got any links on such a story?

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    525

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kostas View Post
    Not that I doubt what you write but got any links on such a story?
    Sorry, only insider knowledge I trust. You're free to not believe me. The only official stories I know of are the famous layoffs from 2013 which you can google.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •