Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Valve Is Still Hiring For SteamOS, Linux Work

Default Valve Is Still Hiring For SteamOS, Linux Work

Phoronix: Valve Is Still Hiring For SteamOS, Linux Work

Valve has been poaching Linux developers for years and there's no sign of them slowing down, but in fact are still hiring...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTc0ODA

By "commercial software", do they mean software that is widely used? Because it's odd to ask for commerical software development experience for an open source project.

Quote Originally Posted by xeekei View Post
    By "commercial software", do they mean software that is widely used? Because it's odd to ask for commerical software development experience for an open source project.
    Yeah, I think they mean "commercial" as in "real job". Meaning, a Suse, Canonical, RedHat, etc employee would be a "commercial" developer.

I wonder what's the size of the SteamOS team by now!

Quote Originally Posted by mendieta View Post
    Yeah, I think they mean "commercial" as in "real job". Meaning, a Suse, Canonical, RedHat, etc employee would be a "commercial" developer.
    Let me be clear, you can write commercial open source applications. The proper term is "proprietary" vs "open source", even though, many times, people use "commercial" as equivalent to "proprietary", which is wrong and muds the water. You can definitely make money around open source software. Cheers!

Quote Originally Posted by mendieta View Post
    Let me be clear, you can write commercial open source applications. The proper term is "proprietary" vs "open source", even though, many times, people use "commercial" as equivalent to "proprietary", which is wrong and muds the water. You can definitely make money around open source software. Cheers!
    Hello,

Can someone confirm whether Valve opensourced Steam? because from what i can understand, Steam OS = Debian + Steam + Valve middle-ware libraries.

Just saying..

Best,
    a.

Fixed title: Valve is still hiring for DRM on linux work.

Quote Originally Posted by atari314 View Post
    Fixed title: Valve is still hiring for DRM on linux work.
    Direct rendering or digital restrictions?

Note that you'll be fired very quickly again if you don't fit the company's culture, just like the many previous Linux devs there.

Quote Originally Posted by Ancurio View Post
    Note that you'll be fired very quickly again if you don't fit the company's culture, just like the many previous Linux devs there.
    Not that I doubt what you write but got any links on such a story?

Quote Originally Posted by Kostas View Post
    Not that I doubt what you write but got any links on such a story?
    Sorry, only insider knowledge I trust. You're free to not believe me. The only official stories I know of are the famous layoffs from 2013 which you can google.