Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 14

Thread: First Play Footage Of Epic Games' New Unreal Tournament

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    15,646

    Default First Play Footage Of Epic Games' New Unreal Tournament

    Phoronix: First Play Footage Of Epic Games' New Unreal Tournament

    Epic Games has shared their "first play" (albeit rather short and basic) footage of the new Unreal Tournament game that's in early stages of development with the community...

    http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTcwNDc

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Vilnius, Lithuania
    Posts
    2,666

    Default

    Yeap. Over at the UE forums we're discussing all kinds of things, from weapons to gametypes to movement to vehicles to characters... To the name itself. And there are a lot of differing opinions about all of these (even more than there are in these forums, who could have thought! ).

    One thing pretty much everyone agrees on, though, is that the general level design should be clean, sharp and colourful: https://forums.unrealengine.com/show...k-and-gameplay

    That said, still no official word on my licensing proposal ( https://forums.unrealengine.com/show...-funding-model ), they are still asking $20/month in order to contribute free code or make a concept map...

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    224

    Default

    Notice how everyone on the video is playing the game on a non-linux OS.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    12

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by M1kkko View Post
    Notice how everyone on the video is playing the game on a non-linux OS.
    Well, Linux isn't a damn sect, so playing the game on a non-linux is hereby officially granted.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    The Netherlands
    Posts
    85

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by M1kkko View Post
    Notice how everyone on the video is playing the game on a non-linux OS.
    Not really a suprise, since they haven't ported their development environment to Linux yet.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    731

    Default

    Will it work on r600g?

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    France
    Posts
    625

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by GreatEmerald View Post
    That said, still no official word on my licensing proposal ( https://forums.unrealengine.com/show...-funding-model ), they are still asking $20/month in order to contribute free code or make a concept map...
    Then don't contribute for them (notice the use of “for”) – help everyone and choose freedom instead…

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Hungary
    Posts
    190

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by GreatEmerald View Post
    That said, still no official word on my licensing proposal ( https://forums.unrealengine.com/show...-funding-model ), they are still asking $20/month in order to contribute free code or make a concept map...
    I would not get involved myself this time around if I had to pay a fee each month just to create a mod or a map, let alone participate in the actual development of the game. While I don't want to say people shouldn't be paid for their modding work, I just don't see how this can turn out as well as the UT99 modding scene did.

    That's a bit sad, really.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Vilnius, Lithuania
    Posts
    2,666

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by psychoticmeow View Post
    I would not get involved myself this time around if I had to pay a fee each month just to create a mod or a map, let alone participate in the actual development of the game. While I don't want to say people shouldn't be paid for their modding work, I just don't see how this can turn out as well as the UT99 modding scene did.

    That's a bit sad, really.
    Yeap. Earlier the barrier to modding was that you had to learn to use UnrealEd and/or UnrealScript. Now it's an equivalent of that (including for previous generation players who know the old UnrealEd and UnrealScript, because neither exists in the traditional form in UE4) + having to learn Blueprint (their visual programming thing, they say it's easier for designers to understand it...) + $20/month. Oh, and the "learning to use" part has to be done during the "$20/month" part...

    Quote Originally Posted by Calinou View Post
    Then don't contribute for them (notice the use of “for”) – help everyone and choose freedom instead…
    Well, I'm contributing ideas. Thankfully Epic is truly listening to community input now. And it doesn't cost anything to write things.

    I'll probably subscribe to UE4 just to show support for what they're doing (Linux support, community focus etc.), but only for one month, and thus to make any use of that I'll have to wait for the game to be in a completely playable state...

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    107

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by GreatEmerald View Post
    I'll probably subscribe to UE4 just to show support for what they're doing (Linux support, community focus etc.)
    Epic Games have done a very impressive thing of releasing the entire C++ source to the masses so I also agree with paying around $20 just as a donation

    Heck, I would pay Epic Games a couple of grand if they would just kill off Unity and its horrid Win32 and Mac OS X only web plugin.

    But yeah, I agree with you that it is still not quite catering to those who are happy to make an open-source project with contributors and dont need any money but also dont want to spend money on a subscription. I think they are probably not taking forward your suggestions because it adds complexities to their already very cutting edge licensing system.

    Whereas, Unity continues to do an extremely poor job of bringing more games to Linux and there are barely any open-source projects of worth using the product so hopefully Unreal will also do better here in future. I think allowing developers to code in native C++ rather than a domain specific scripting language (or .NET) will definately help.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •