AMD R600g/RadeonSI Performance On Linux 3.16 With Mesa 10.3-devel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Rakot View Post
    The whole idea of testing is to see performance change. Also due to the troubles with LLVM phoronix basically does not have relevant results for SI class hardware since a lot of demanding test just do not work.

If Michael wants a binary distro to do such testing I suggest to use opensuse and repos of pontostroy specifically with git versions of Mesa, drivers, kernel, x-server. Or Michael can just use livecd made by the same guy (check http://www.gearsongallium.com/ ). There are also some tests made with aid of Phoronix Test Suite.
    I know it is better to use llvm-3.5 then llvm-3.4, but Michael only test mesa either ubuntu official or what oibaf's ppa repo provide. And as i see oibaf seems like only want to package llvm which Ubuntu official repo provide, that is safe for him because he supports different ubuntu releases and some days llvm can't even compile with some versions of gcc, etc... . So in the end problem is actually because ubuntu does not have current llvm-3.5 in the repo .

Comment

Originally posted by Rakot View Post
      For opensuse there are additional options for the kernel: distro kernel, current stable, current rc and aforementioned pontostoy's bleeding edge drm-next kernel. So it gives certain flexibility. I guess the same is true for other distros.
      Fedora doesn't have any of those. And I don't think RPMfusion hosts such stuff either.

Comment

Originally posted by Sonadow View Post
        Fedora doesn't have any of those. And I don't think RPMfusion hosts such stuff either.
        You've got a few options with Fedora, technically. One, you can use their old personal repo system (I haven't personally used those for awhile but I assume they're still around). Two, find a copr (the replacement for the old repos, but act more like ppa/obs). Three, and the most difficult/risky, grab builds directly from koji. The last is just packages (so you'll have to do dependency resolution yourself), and most of them are used for testing purposes, but it has TONS of packages, and can be really useful if you just need a single package.
        I believe Dave airlie has a copr for graphics, but there's bound to be others.

Comment

Does anyone know why the Caymans perform so badly compared to the other northern islands GPUs? I know they use the VLIW4 architecture, but why does that hurt performance so much?
          As a 6950 owner my self, I feel disappointed that the situation never seems to improve for these cards.

Comment

Originally posted by Avenger View Post
            Does anyone know why the Caymans perform so badly compared to the other northern islands GPUs? I know they use the VLIW4 architecture, but why does that hurt performance so much?
            As a 6950 owner my self, I feel disappointed that the situation never seems to improve for these cards.
            agd5f says Cayman, Trinity and Richland are VLIW4, which is only hardware other the GCNs which have support for VM. So i think if Trinity and Richland APUs is also comparabile slower, then that is clarly because of VM disabled (not implemented maybe?) for those.

That is what ramp up performance for GCNs with kernel 3.16 .

Comment

Originally posted by nilssab View Post
              For all of the "latest gpu driver benchmarks" posted, I don't understand why you dont include some older data.. Like you do for comparisons between ubuntu versions etc.
              It would be interesting to see how the changes affect the performance of different cards while not having to go through old articles and comparing by yourself.
              Yes, I was just reading the results and scratching my head... "is this an improvement, is it a regression? nobody knows...."

Comment

Originally posted by liam View Post
                You've got a few options with Fedora, technically. One, you can use their old personal repo system (I haven't personally used those for awhile but I assume they're still around). Two, find a copr (the replacement for the old repos, but act more like ppa/obs). Three, and the most difficult/risky, grab builds directly from koji. The last is just packages (so you'll have to do dependency resolution yourself), and most of them are used for testing purposes, but it has TONS of packages, and can be really useful if you just need a single package.
                I believe Dave airlie has a copr for graphics, but there's bound to be others.
                Theoreticly there would be a better option in fedora I think, or at least also a good one, to install llvm from rawhide (pinning) at least better than installing from koji. But in Rawhide only 3.4 is out, is llvm 3.5 only 10 hours old or whats the problem.

hmm looked on their website, there is no version 3.5 released for llvm so what are we talking about? there is a new branch for that since 4 days, is there really so much magic in it? if you can wait till alpha1 or something like that maybe u find it also in rawhide.

Comment

Originally posted by blackiwid View Post
                  Theoreticly there would be a better option in fedora I think, or at least also a good one, to install llvm from rawhide (pinning) at least better than installing from koji. But in Rawhide only 3.4 is out, is llvm 3.5 only 10 hours old or whats the problem.

hmm looked on their website, there is no version 3.5 released for llvm so what are we talking about? there is a new branch for that since 4 days, is there really so much magic in it? if you can wait till alpha1 or something like that maybe u find it also in rawhide.
                  Assuming you meant to address this to me I can't say I'm able to follow what you're saying.
                  I don't think the next major llvm release (3.5) is happening until sometime next year.
                  My post was only letting folks know about some of the Fedora options to get bleeding edge builds for specific packages.

Comment

=blackiwid;430655
                    RC1 is (pre) released few days ago

But don't know for Fedora, it was available in Debian Sid at that day .

Last edited by dungeon; 25 July 2014, 09:55 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by liam View Post
                      I don't think the next major llvm release (3.5) is happening until sometime next year.
                      3.5 will be released in a month:

LLVM 3.5 Release Schedule:

July 21: Branch for 3.5 release
                      July 21-27: Testing Phase I
                      July 28-Aug 3: Fix bugs from Testing Phase I
                      Aug 4-10: Testing Phase II
                      Aug 11-17: Fix bugs from Testing Phase II
                      Aug 25: 3.5 RELEASE!
                      But maybe it is typo and you mean about 3.6

Comment

Working...
                      X