Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Valve Is Still Hiring For SteamOS, Linux Work

Red face

Quote Originally Posted by Kostas View Post
    Not that I doubt what you write but got any links on such a story?
    He means, if you count to 3, you'll be fired.

Quote Originally Posted by Ancurio View Post
    Note that you'll be fired very quickly again if you don't fit the company's culture, just like the many previous Linux devs there.
    isn't that usual thing everywhere? i know i would fire person that interrupts process in well oiled machine.

that's just how all big companies work, you're more of a number than person. think when asked, work what you need to and don't make bs spectacle that diminishes companys efforts. vogl developer that made opengl spectacle would be clear example of what i deem it has no place in company like that.

Quote Originally Posted by justmy2cents View Post
    isn't that usual thing everywhere? i know i would fire person that interrupts process in well oiled machine.

that's just how all big companies work, you're more of a number than person. think when asked, work what you need to and don't make bs spectacle that diminishes companys efforts. vogl developer that made opengl spectacle would be clear example of what i deem it has no place in company like that.
    Yeah, if you don't fit into a company, any company, you're either going to get fired or else you aren't important enough to matter to anyone.

Now if the story is that the corporate culture at Valve is bad and the reasons behind not fitting in are newsworthy, then that's a different story.

Quote Originally Posted by smitty3268 View Post
    Yeah, if you don't fit into a company, any company, you're either going to get fired or else you aren't important enough to matter to anyone.

Now if the story is that the corporate culture at Valve is bad and the reasons behind not fitting in are newsworthy, then that's a different story.
    Supposedly Jeri Ellsworth said it was like being back in high school, don't know what she meant by that because I didn't click through. It was sort-of newsworthy when the handbook was leaked over two years ago. They don't work the way everyone expects, the way practically every higher learning institution prepares/programs everyone for. If someone is already addicted to hierarchy, they won't do well. Apparently *everyone* is responsible for hiring and figuring out who fits in and evaluating everyone else they've worked with on anything. That's about all I remember... so it isn't bad. If you need a PHB over you in order to be comfortable or to function, then it would be very bad.

Quote Originally Posted by justmy2cents View Post

I think you should have researched how Valve as a company functions before making this comment. And Rich Geldreich didn't make a "spectacle", he just pointed out flaws in a system like any intelligent person with a functioning brain should. That certainly didn't get him fired. He left on his own accord.

They are not exactly poaching us Linux users if we are just hobby users and hobby programmers. Commercial 5+ years does not sound like me that's for sure.