NVIDIA Releases K1-Powered Shield Tablet & Controller

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

i will definitely buy it

ohh, wait... i just opened window and pigs don't fly, not to mention hell is not frozen either. android gaming device with small screen and made out of 2 parts to be portable... what will they think of next? i can just imagine NVidia R&D in this situation
    The Hospital Sketch from Monty Pythons Meaning of Life

Comment

The point is that you could build the controls onto the tablet, like how the Wii U does it
      You mean like the original Shield?

Apparently it was not successful enough for them to revamp it with the k1, and a higher res screen.

Comment

Originally posted by Dukenukemx View Post
        Tablet and phone only games. Anyone who wants to play those games aren't going to do it on tablets or phones. You'll find a 10 year old PC and play it on that, or for that matter ANY PC.
        I don't know whatever you're retarded or not but of course there are no game for tablets which won't run on a tablet.

That would be a rather stupid thing to design don't you think?

Now if the tablets could run more demanding games would such games be made? Yes.

If the tablet can't run them would they? No.

By your logic you can't find a NES game which don't run well on the Nintendo Entertainment System so you could just as well be done with it because obviously nothing better is needed.

Comment

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
          Phoronix: NVIDIA Releases K1-Powered Shield Tablet & Controller

NVIDIA announced this morning their new Shield Tablet and Shield Controller. The new Shield Tablet is a $299 Android tablet that's great for gaming and is mighty powerful with using the Tegra K1 SoC...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTc0Njc

Speaking of the K1, Michael, any chance we'll get that power consumption test with your tk1 board?

Comment

Originally posted by MoonMoon View Post
            Why would a laptop fit on your lap, but this tablet, with an inbuilt stand that has a position exactly for that purpose, not?
            Did you even watch the video or had a look at their website?
            Ever put a tablet on your lap? They are unstable as hell due to the small size of the stand and location of all of the weight. Compare that to a laptop, where the bulk of the weight is in the bottom section which is just as large as the light screen making it far more stable.

Comment

Originally posted by zanny View Post
              No, no it's not even close to a tablet design. Here, let me provide visual aid.

Originally posted by aliquis View Post
              By your logic you can't find a NES game which don't run well on the Nintendo Entertainment System so you could just as well be done with it because obviously nothing better is needed.
              I don't even, what?

The point is that why talk about it's amazing power when your best example are games that were made 10 years ago. Games that already exist on PC, on nearly every OS available on PC including Linux? To play first person shooter games on a gamepad. There's a reason why the Nvidia Shield is best known for playing emulators, cause that's the best library of games you'll get on that device. Android doesn't have a library of games worth to dump $200+ on a device that can't even make phone calls. My three year old phone could do what these Nvidia devices can do, given that HL2 and Portal weren't restricted to Nvidia hardware.

Do I need to do it? Fine I will. Nvidia, baby, you need to make an x86 CPU to be taken serious for gaming. ARM will never get a library of games that will show off your graphics. Don't care what it takes to get x86 support. Get sued by Intel or whatever. They need x86.

Comment

Its turning into wish thread.

People buy tablets.

People buy games for tablets.

Game devs release games for tablets.

3D & performance is always prominent feature.

Google for once want some standardization around AEP.
                (Yes. That is not enought, but its better then before so whole 3D situation will be better)

Nvidia do good 3D.

Games will follow.

We can wish what ever we want. It wont change what will happen. Business is business.

Comment

Originally posted by przemoli View Post
                  Its turning into wish thread.

People buy tablets.

People buy games for tablets.

Game devs release games for tablets.

3D & performance is always prominent feature.

Google for once want some standardization around AEP.
                  (Yes. That is not enought, but its better then before so whole 3D situation will be better)

Nvidia do good 3D.

Games will follow.

We can wish what ever we want. It wont change what will happen. Business is business.
                  Android games suck, just look at all previous attempts at Android consoles. Nvidia's Design choices ensure failure.

The only thing I wish for is that the Pyra becomes a very successful product with the general public.

Comment

Originally posted by Dukenukemx View Post
                    OMG Half Life 2 and Portal. Games built on 10 year old game engine. No crummy $300 laptop couldn't play those on PC. And unlike the Nvidia version, it doesn't require Nvidia hardware on PC.

What about War Thunder or Trine 2? Or The Talos Principle, the first Serious Engine 4 game ever?

Comment

Working...
                    X