AMD "Hawaii" Open-Source GPU Acceleration Still Not Working Right

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by log0 View Post
    Fascinating how this article has attracted the nvidia trolls.

Poor creatures, the only joy they get is from bitching about AMD. But then it is not like they have anything to contribute to linux or open source.
    Yeah I know - having a strong opinion automatically makes you a troll...

Comment

again and again

amd cards are great, the support... i give up from amd because of their drivers, ppl complain about nvidia, but nvidia put things working always not like amd

fact:i want my hardware working,
      fact:you nvidia blob things work
      fact:is opensoure, no!!
      fact:i don't care, i want my hardware working!!

Comment

Originally posted by teeedubb View Post
        Thats not a arrogant statement at all.
        I know it sounds pretty arrogant, but that's based on what I've seen personally. I've seen people complain of drivers causing them BSoD while they were overclocking, and dropping the OC fixed it. I've seen problems that were fixed with BIOS/VBIOS updates.

That doesnt really mean much because no one knows what you use your computer for.
        Was mainly used for gaming, but not so much nowadays.

So youre saying the article and the devs mentioned in it are 'improperly placing blame somewhere, or just spreading FUD.'?
        I wasn't trying to say that every claim of driver fault wasn't correct, but most that I've seen were something like above.

Comment

Originally posted by rikkinho View Post
          amd cards are great, the support... i give up from amd because of their drivers, ppl complain about nvidia, but nvidia put things working always not like amd

fact:i want my hardware working,
          fact:you nvidia blob things work
          fact:is opensoure, no!!
          fact:i don't care, i want my hardware working!!
          You would sell your soul for a chocolate bar too. Just because you dont care doesnt mean other people do not care.

Comment

Originally posted by Rakot View Post
            Say thanks to nvidia with their "the way it's meant to be played" stuff. Fglrx follows specs more closely than nvidia but developers just don't care (see for example recent commits to mesa where Marek made quirks for Unigine software which do not follow specs but "just works" on nvidia).
            So youre saying gaming is better on amd.. but why did a company that is pushing linux gaming in a big way chose nvidia for their test machines? I doubt gabe just pulled that one out of his rear end... And lets move on from gaming, what about hq deinterlacers on my live tv streams? is amd up to spec in that department?

Use fglrx. It just works. I've been using fglrx for more than 5 years and it worked most of the time. Yes, there are certain problems but at least it never crashed my kernel at random times.
            We must have used different versions of fglrx - when I got a 5770 the ubuntu desktop wasnt real glitchy with fglrx - but hey, it probably works well today (but it worked without issue with a nvidia card that very quickly rreplaced the 5770).

Tell me moar about it. I have 9600GT m in a laptop and you know what? Nvidia has only legacy support for it. Moreover there are kernel crashes from time to time which appeared some time ago and which nvidia is not going to fix anyways (there was a lengthy thread in nvidia's forum).
            How do you think a amd card of same vintage would fare with fglrx?

So all your facts are the same as MS's "get the facts".[/QUOTE]

Comment

use intel then

Originally posted by brad0 View Post
              You would sell your soul for a chocolate bar too. Just because you dont care doesnt mean other people do not care.
              intel is the only companie who provides good opensource drivers

Comment

Originally posted by Rakot View Post
                Say thanks to nvidia with their "the way it's meant to be played" stuff. Fglrx follows specs more closely than nvidia but developers just don't care (see for example recent commits to mesa where Marek made quirks for Unigine software which do not follow specs but "just works" on nvidia).
                Unfortunately this theory doesn't work for FGLRX on Linux. Most of games that have problems with FGLRX does work well with both Nvidia proprietary and Intel / AMD / Nvidia open source drivers.

Some developers just recommend to use open source drivers instead of Catalyst.

Comment

Ah, guess my friend complaining about BSoD's occasionally on his NVIDIA laptop, and my near-flawless experience with AMD hardware is a fabrication of my imagination. Lets not also forget about the one or two separate incidents of NVIDIA WHQL-signed drivers on Windows that damaged GPUs

No OEM makes perfect drivers. Some people want to learn the hard way though. Please, head right over to NVIDIA if you think they're so flawless

intel is the only companie who provides good opensource drivers
                  I can agree their open-source drivers on Linux are pretty ok, but I know first-hand their proprietary Windows drivers are a joke.

Comment

Originally posted by blackshard View Post
                    So you get what? Another card that doesn't run on opensource stack and needs a closed blob...
                    At least support for an amd card will come sooner or later; forget it about nvidia.
                    Some time ago I hope AMD going revisit CAYMAN performance/support one day, but "who the hell want to use open source drivers with high-end GPU?" thing is actual not only for Hawaii.

Comment

Yeah I know - having a strong opinion automatically makes you a troll...
                      Well, it certainly seems you felt addressed by my comment. Think about it.

Comment

Working...
                      X