AMD "Hawaii" Open-Source GPU Acceleration Still Not Working Right

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by _SXX_ View Post
    It's just funny to see AMD fanboys in this topic: drivers will work in future, more features, Nvidia kernel crashes, fglrx not that bad, never have a problems. In same time this topic isn't about Nvidia, but about the fact: in few months it's will be year after Hawaii GPUs released and GPUs support it's still broken in open source drivers.
    It is so fun when nvidia trolls post comments about some troubles in fglrx and when they are poked into problems in nvidia's blob refuse to see it.

Comment

No they are not.
      All R series GPU except R9 290(X) it's basically rebranded HD7XXX with slightly different clocks/voltages/etc.
      Not exactly. R7 260 and 260x are sea islands parts, same as hawaii.

Comment

Originally posted by Rakot View Post
        It is so fun when nvidia trolls post comments about some troubles in fglrx and when they are poked into problems in nvidia's blob refuse to see it.
        Only Nvidia GPUs I have it's some GT 430 and GeForce 210 that used in my home server for blob and nouveau testing. They working quite good for purposes low-end GPUs designed for, but Nvidia is not suitable for me (don't work with GPU passthrough).

Only reason why I participate this topic it's because I want AMD to fix their driver and want to see more news on moving more resources towards proper driver. So I seen this news and it's message I can read: hey AMD, fix this! Unfortunately fanboys fail to see this and only see some "Nvidia trolls".
        Last edited by _SXX_; 21 July 2014, 09:14 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by agd5f View Post
          Not exactly. R7 260 and 260x are sea islands parts, same as hawaii.
          Multiple hardware-related websites reported that R7 260X is a rebranded 7790 with unlocked audio part (TrueAudio). Fake?

PS: They also have mostly the same result in benchmarks too.
          Last edited by _SXX_; 21 July 2014, 09:16 PM.

Comment

Only Nvidia GPU I have it's some GT 430 and GeForce 210 that used in my home server for blob and nouveau testing. They working quite good for purposes low-end GPUs designed for, but Nvidia is not suitable for me (don't work with GPU passthrough).

Only reason why I participate this topic it's because I want AMD to fix their driver and want to see more news on moving more resources towards proper driver. So I seen this news and it's message I can read: hey AMD, fix this! Unfortunately fanboys fail to see this and only see some "Nvidia trolls".
            Unfortunately it doesn't work like this. Alex, Bridgman and other developers can only see your post. But they do not make decisions. It seems more like attacking them. Blame managers not developers. As for devs, they are doing an awesome job! One year ago the only option was fglrx but now I completely switched to radeonsi and it works nicely!

I bet the problem with this particular GPU could be a stupid typo somewhere in the code as was in a case with dpm on cayman (single line patch fixed a crash on it)...

Comment

Originally posted by Kivada View Post
              No need, the docs are already there, there aren't that many Linux users using high end GPUs to put it on the high priority list. Give it another year, Star Citizen, Metro Complete Pack, Civilization: Beyond Earth, Witcher 3 and whatever else gets announced will provide a need for a focus on the high end GPUs sold in the hundreds of thousands as well as the low and mid range that have sold in the millions.
              Of course that is somehow priority excuse because it does not work stright away , i don't believe in that (about numbers) story at all in the matter "chip can't work" and that is because of numbers... i mean that is funny to say and even more funnier who believe at that .

It would work stright away, if it was no problem to implement right . Simply, devs still does not know why it does not work . Until someone figured out why .

Comment

Multiple hardware-related websites reported that R7 260X is a rebranded 7790 with unlocked audio part (TrueAudio). Fake?

PS: They also have mostly the same result in benchmarks too.
                7790 is the first Sea Islands (GCN 2.0) GPU AFAIK.

Comment

Unfortunately it doesn't work like this. Alex, Bridgman and other developers can only see your post. But they do not make decisions. It seems more like attacking them.
                  I'm not trying to attack devs there, but just agree with fact in this article: Hawaii support is broken.

Blame managers not developers.
                  Phoronix is only website about Linux graphics so if "managers" read any it's this one.

R9 290X / 290 was named as "Volcanic Islands" so I think they're different, but it's looks like both GCN 2.0 so I likely wrong here.

Comment

R9 290X / 290 was named as "Volcanic Islands" so I think they're different, but it's looks like both GCN 2.0 so I likely wrong here.
                    Volcanic Islands hasn't come out yet, that's the next gen.

7790, 260, and 290 are all Sea Islands.

The rest of the SI cards (7xxx,270,280,etc.) were all Southern Islands. I think.

Comment

260/260x and 290/290x are both GCN 1.1 chips making them very similar. Also, Kaveri APUs are GCN 1.1.

All the HD7xxx cards were GCN 1.0.

As for GCN 2.0, rumor has it we'll see it in August w/ Tonga (mid-range).

Comment

Working...
                      X