MicroXwin Creators Have A PC That Runs Debian & Android Together

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by edgar_wibeau View Post
    I've been wondering for some time why so little people seem to be interested in running Android inside a running Linux system. Last vacations I had a laptop with me plus a smartphone, and I wanted to be able to read Google Books and Kindle (the smartphone screen being to smal for my taste). So parallel to Linux I installed Windows 8 and this (also) shitty android environment inside a VM, forgot the name, only to be able to do so.
    Okay.

1. amazon kindle has a web based reader: https://read.amazon.com/
    2. So does google play

I am not completely sure if they allow complete offline reading, but at least amazon allows "downloading" to local storage.

If you want to read your ebooks like you want, you may want to consider buying without digital restrictions management. I mean, why not blame the root problem? It could be so simple and with great performance if vendors didn't not only intentionally limit you to their proprietary stuff, but also to proprietary stuff with limited availability across platforms.

3. Why windows 8? The amazon kindle software for windows runs okayish in wine.
    4. Why windows 8? Install the android x86 emulator image in the official emulator and with vt-x/amd-v and the gles acceleration you get a very good experience. You have to manually install the google apps of course, but you can google how to do that...

Comment

Thanks for the hints. Where I'm traveling, it needs to be able to run completely offline while I'm reading. Didn't know about the web readers. Just tried Amazon's with Firefox and Chromium and indeed with the latter it offers a web app and offline mode. Thanks! Google books doesn't seem to offer this though ...

The emulator might be another option, guess I'll give it a shot before my next journey.

Still I'd like to be able to run android directly on my Linux kernel, but if that means compromising X11, that really doesn't seem to be a good idea. Pity.

Comment

Visited the "Store" inside Chromium for the first time, it offers (Google) Books - of course. It seems my offline reading demands are solved inside a browser* - great!

*The fact that it's not my preferred browser won't kill me, I guess.

Comment

I guess this is just a chroot *inside Android*, although I don't know how you'd replace the graphical part of Android.
          From google ("debian android chroot lxde"), this guy uses VNC: https://www.mayrhofer.eu.org/debian-on-android ("Use any local VNC client to connect to localhost, port 5091 using the password set previously"), so I guess it's the same. There is not much magic here... it's just great propaganda.
          But yeah, running Linux inside android opens MANY possibilities. I don't know if the hardware video decoders (or any other hardware device, except of course the CPU) would work from inside the chroot, though.
          EDIT: err, duh, it says so right there in the article...
          Last edited by asdfblah; 19 July 2014, 10:06 PM.

Comment

There is RK3188 Linuxium dual boot option to boot Android from the dongle (or SD) or Linux from SD/USB. Stronger dongle (quad core, 2 GB RAM), but still VPU is not supported under Linux.

Comment

Bring out yer dead...

BSD, X11, Java... they're all dead...

Comment

Working...
              X