Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Open-Source Blu-Ray Now Works For BD-J / Menu Rendering

Phoronix: Open-Source Blu-Ray Now Works For BD-J / Menu Rendering

For users of libbluray for limited open-source Blu-Ray disc support, there's some updates worth fetching...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Well, nice of them to do that.

Now i can only wonder when the 3D BR technology will be outsourced too. I am trying my best to replace all sorts of gimmicks with my Linux powered machine but i am currently stuck at 3D BluRays. Or maybe i wasnt able to figure the solution if one is still available.

Comment

Originally posted by araxth View Post
      I am trying my best to replace all sorts of gimmicks with my Linux powered machine but i am currently stuck at 3D BluRays.

Comment

Who still uses discs?
        Xbmc plays all my hdd matroska files.

Comment

Originally posted by amagnoni View Post
          Who still uses discs?
          Xbmc plays all my hdd matroska files.
          Example: Those who actually pay for the media content and cannot be bothered with the ripping operation.

To make the things worst, xbmc cannot play the original 3D content. It has to be ripped and converted to SBS or other alternates.

Comment

So only MKVs SBS or Top And Bottom 3D. I meant the original 3D BluRay.

THanks though
            n.

Comment

Blu ray was so poorly executed. It had so much potential to be in frequent use but companies like Sony had to make it such an expensive format. The prices of Blu Ray drives and discs today are what they should have been when the products were first released. Blu Ray easily has the potential to be the most cost effective form of backups and mass storage, but with hard drives being faster, cheaper, and having much higher capacities, Blu Ray has quickly become obsoleted. In a way it's a little sad to see optical discs being phased out - does get me to wonder why the new-gen consoles even bothered to support them.

Comment

Who needs blu-rays? If you want legal content just buy it online if possible. If it is not possible for some reason (e.g. not provided for your platform or sold only on disks) then with a clear conscience you can download pirate version. If copyright holders don't want to sell it to you then it is their fault.

Comment

Originally posted by Szzz View Post
                  Who needs blu-rays? If you want legal content just buy it online if possible. If it is not possible for some reason (e.g. not provided for your platform or sold only on disks) then with a clear conscience you can download pirate version. If copyright holders don't want to sell it to you then it is their fault.
                  Blu Ray is ideal for people who don't have high-speed internet, and people who prefer having physical backups. I personally am a little wary of online services, because if ANYTHING happens to them, you'll never get your content back. This is possibly the only thing that seriously bothers me about Steam - you're actually renting the games indefinitely, but you don't actually ever own them. So if anything happens to Valve, you just lost all those games.

Comment

Originally posted by Szzz View Post
                    Depends where you live, in Germany for instance the clear conscience doesn't save you from the fine you will have to pay for media stuff illegal downloading. And I assume it's the case for the civilized world.

But this thread goes out of topic. Back to the matter at hand, we don't have full (as in complete) support for BR technology in Linux. And that's simply something that the community has to work at. So far it appears that people are actually working at it, one piece at the time. What i am afraid of is that the work will be complete only when the BR will become history.

Comment

Working...
                    X