Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Slackware Turns 21 Years Old

Phoronix: Slackware Turns 21 Years Old

It was on this day in 1993 that Patrick Volkerding announced the Slackware 1.00 release that was inspired by the Softlanding Linux System...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Yeh, happy birthday Slack!

Comment

Happy anniversary to you old fart.

Comment

Happy birthday grandma

( openSUSE user )

Comment

Happy birthday!

This brings back memories. Slack was the 1st Linux Distro I've used. I switched to Debian soon afterwards, but Slack was still first...

Comment

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
            Phoronix: Slackware Turns 21 Years Old

It was on this day in 1993 that Patrick Volkerding announced the Slackware 1.00 release that was inspired by the Softlanding Linux System...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTc0Mzc
            Congratulations to Pat and Slackware.

Was ist Weissbier Hell?

Comment

Long live Slack!

Comment

My first distro

Slackware was my first Linux distribution that I used when I was a kid.
                It helped me learn much of the inner workings of Linux and Unix.
                I configured and compiled my own kernel, learned about package management and dependencies, and read so many man pages, and learned to manually configure iptables and write shell scripts.
                I broke my installation many times and learned a lot.

Comment

Story

A long time ago in a forgotten realm, there lived a sprite named ., well Bob.
                  Bob was cool. But when all the other kids got their licenses and moved on, Bob was lonely.

One day Bob bought a 64 bit Nova. It was the fastest thing in town. Bob's nephew Arch'ie, driving his 64 bit Impala, laughed as he rolled up on Bob's primed in "pain" job.
                  Bob never quite got around to fixing most things. Bondo and spot putty only holds for so long.

Then, there was a gas shortage; so most of the kids were driving econo cars. See these could burn this new fuel called Ethenol. Unfortunately, Bob lacked the upgrade.
                  Sure there was a conversion kit, but you had to get it shipped COD from some guy in the Netherlands.

Mark rolled up on the scene with this new ride; it was cheap. All the kids fell over. It was fast. It was a 96 Toyota Supra. Real fast! It burnt the new fuel and was fully automagic. Of course everybody claimed he stole the parts.
                  Maybe he did. Wow, everyone was driving it. Pretty soon, you had the old car clubs slowly closing up shop. You had this dealership in Ireland that would build you a custom Supra.

So what happend to the Nova? It's still around. It's fast but it don't got power steering. I hear they finally equiped it with an air-conditioner. Power door locks are optional and you still got to contact that guy in the Netherlands for the conversion kit. But no worries I hear they're drilling for oil and fracking all over the US now.

Comment

erm... legal drinking age is a state(usually) possibly even down to county or city(in some areas) determined thing, i.e. I think that some states that it's 18 maybe even less in some places(never cared to really look). It just happens that the state that I live in that it's 21, which is kind of screwed up as you can drive across the river to ontario and drink at 19(legal age in ON)...

Beyond that I'm surprised that slackware has managed to survive this long, as I don't recall it ever being a "popular" distro comparatively speaking...

Comment

Working...
                    X