X.Org Server 1.16 Officially Released With Terrific Features

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ruthan View Post
    Wayland support for Xserver? I realy dont understand that, Wayland should be replacement for Xserver, if need Xserver support it is dead end, we realy need get rid of this old crapp.
    It's more like XServer support for Wayland.

Good luck getting any distro to change to a Wayland based desktop if it means losing all backwards compatibility with older applications.

Comment

Originally posted by ruthan View Post
      Wayland support for Xserver? I realy dont understand that, Wayland should be replacement for Xserver, if need Xserver support it is dead end, we realy need get rid of this old crapp.
      It is like newborn vs retiremen . XWayland is X for Wayland, old for the new - not new for the old .

If you do not care about X and apps for X, simply do not use XWayland under Wayland .

Comment

I have 3D now!!!!!!!!!..

xorg 1.16 hit debian testing branch when I updated today! (Actually 1.15.99)..

I finally have 3D support!!!!! yippy skippy!..
        I bought this laptop back in december, and I haven't had 3D support on it ever, until today!...
        It is AMD kabini A4-5000 APU, with HD 8330 GPU integrated.. (Part of "sea islands" cards)..

I updated, rebooted, and went to KDE settings and changed rendering to OpenGL 3.1, and now I have cube and all the 3D stuff, it is very glamorous!.. And now I can play minecraft again..

And I set KDE v-sync to "Full-screen repaint", and now I don't have any tearing on any thing! normal windows, or full-screen stuff, and full-screen 1080p movies etc..
        (I have the setting on KDE to turn off compositing when full-screen applications are running, but I can now change SMPlayer to use OpenGL 3, and it doesn't have any tearing now in window or full-screen)..

Also, article mentioned xorg is 30 years old........holy crap, it is definitely time for wayland..

Comment

Originally posted by smitty3268 View Post
          It's more like XServer support for Wayland.

Good luck getting any distro to change to a Wayland based desktop if it means losing all backwards compatibility with older applications.
          Yup, XWayland is more of a compatibility library in order for older X apps to talk to Wayland.

Comment

I hit this today for the first time on intel:
            Code:
            X Error of failed request:  XI_BadDevice (invalid Device parameter)
              Major opcode of failed request:  131 (XInputExtension)
              Minor opcode of failed request:  46 ()
              Device id in failed request: 0xa2
              Serial number of failed request:  218814
              Current serial number in output stream:  218815
            Killed a program in wine.

Could this be a problem of xorg 1.16?

Comment

Testing Xserver 1.16 on archlinux right now...
              ...3D performance seems to have almost NO impact with compositor enabled.
              Before, with 1.15.2 and earlier, I had a -25/35% hit in OpenGL performance!

Can anyone confirm this?
              I'm running with linux-ck 3.16.6 + mesa 10.2.4 + intel 2.99.912
              Openbox as WM and compton-git as composite manager.

Comment

Originally posted by losko View Post
                Testing Xserver 1.16 on archlinux right now...
                ...3D performance seems to have almost NO impact with compositor enabled.
                Before, with 1.15.2 and earlier, I had a -25/35% hit in OpenGL performance!

Can anyone confirm this?
                I'm running with linux-ck 3.16.6 + mesa 10.2.4 + intel 2.99.912
                Openbox as WM and compton-git as composite manager.
                I can confirm there is almost no impact for me too, using openbox and compton... But on radeonsi driver, so there must be something in new xserver what make better composite case for all opensource (and maybe other) drivers .

Comment

Originally posted by dungeon View Post
                  there must be something in new xserver what make better composite
                  Maybe the integrated glamor accelaration...
                  Everything runs very smooth, anyway.

No problems so far for me (including wine), except 'startx -- -nolisten tcp' that fails to start X

Comment

No problems so far for me (including wine), except 'startx -- -nolisten tcp' that fails to start X
                    Lets guess, that is with systemd used ... Some systemd versions behave like that, seems versions 208-213 are affected .

Xserver is patched for that there, but that seems like only works for very recent systemd versions .

Comment

In arch, on my asus K75DE, (A10/APU/...) , Xorg 1.15, aand 1.14, via ati opensource driver all was working fine.
                      but upgrading cleanly, or via a fresh/clean install to Xorg 1.16 crashes the system completely,. ... with Xorg.bin errors and freezes,...

Downgrade back to Xorg 1.15, solves the problem.
                      So I guess, there's still some "bugs" in xorg 1.16, and/or ati's opensource driver ?,
                      will have to wait and see if they fix this.

Comment

Working...
                      X