Vote For GOG To Make Galaxy Open Source

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vote For GOG To Make Galaxy Open Source

Source. I have already voted. Have you? Or do you have a reason against doing so?

It would have helped to spare a word or two on what the heck GOG Galaxy is...

Comment

This looks pretty cool (www.gog.com/galaxy)

What separates it from Desura (www.desura.com) which is also open-source?

My uses for GoG's Galaxy being open-source would be so I can port it to platforms I actually use (i.e FreeBSD). However... none of the games will run since they are still proprietary.

That said, opening up the source is always good for guaranteed lifespan of the software. So it certainly has my vote.

Comment

Yeah, I voted. Would be nice I'm sure, but I'm not exactly optimistic GOG will do the right thing. Not that the client, open source or not, would be of use to me anyway until they get a reasonable portion of their games running on Linux. Won't be hard for most of the oldies, and I guess some of the more recent games already have Linux versions available elsewhere.

Comment

Originally posted by kpedersen View Post
          This looks pretty cool (www.gog.com/galaxy)

What separates it from Desura (www.desura.com) which is also open-source?

My uses for GoG's Galaxy being open-source would be so I can port it to platforms I actually use (i.e FreeBSD). However... none of the games will run since they are still proprietary.

That said, opening up the source is always good for guaranteed lifespan of the software. So it certainly has my vote.
          The difference is CDProjekt Red is a very gamer oriented company, and they care about things that gamers care about like taking a hard line on DRM. they had weekly sales long before Steam decided to copy them on that front, and they include all sorts of various extras with the games they distribute, and they originally built their catalog on finding and getting licenses to sell old games that people care about (and more importantly making them work on modern machines), before branching out into indie games and some newer titles a couple of years ago. They could rather easily sell a huge chunk of their library on Linux or even FreeBSD or any other OSS OS just by having it check if you've got dosbox and ScummVM installed and downloading the associated scripts/settings files.

Comment

Working...
          X