Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Intel Pentium G3258 On Linux

Phoronix: Intel Pentium G3258 On Linux

Up for review today on Phoronix is the Pentium G3258, the new processor Intel put out in celebration of their Pentium brand turning 20 years old. This new Pentium G3258 processor costs under $100 USD and comes unlocked for offering quite a bit overclocking potential while this Pentium CPU can be used by current Intel 8 and 9 Series Chipsets. Here's our first benchmarks of the Intel Pentium G3258 using Ubuntu Linux.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

For those wondering how this Pentium G3258 stacks up against AMD APUs under Linux, I hope to have those numbers ready in the days to come.
    I would like to see that, but not sure comparabile APU exists , comparabile to both CPU/GPU performance . This sounds like A8-7600, but with Radeon R3 graphics instead of R7 .
    Last edited by dungeon; 16 July 2014, 03:11 PM.

Comment

For many tasks in the testing process, the pentium manages to beat the Core i3. Not bad for a CPU 40? cheaper (yes, I'm french). It's just a pity the graphics part is so limited.

Still a good runner for cheap web-browsing/office/videoplay machine.

Comment

I've seen some processors in my life, and all of them (intel and amd) reported in the surface a year that is about 2-3 years before the official launch date, like this pentium that reports [20]11.
        What is representing that year stamped on the cpu? It is possible that this pentium was already conceived in 2011?

Comment

Originally posted by Morpheus View Post
          For many tasks in the testing process, the pentium manages to beat the Core i3. Not bad for a CPU 40? cheaper (yes, I'm french). It's just a pity the graphics part is so limited.

Still a good runner for cheap web-browsing/office/videoplay machine.
          The pentium beats the i3 when highly overclocked. When you consider the money you waste on a heatsink and power consumption, this isn't really that impressive. If I have a discrete GPU, intel's IGP is pretty much worthless anyway so I personally wouldn't really care about how crappy that is.

For roughly $20 more, I'd much rather get the i3. The only time I see this CPU being worth anyone's time and money is if they have a highly single-threaded task.

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
            The pentium beats the i3 when highly overclocked. When you consider the money you waste on a heatsink and power consumption, this isn't really that impressive. If I have a discrete GPU, intel's IGP is pretty much worthless anyway so I personally wouldn't really care about how crappy that is.

For roughly $20 more, I'd much rather get the i3. The only time I see this CPU being worth anyone's time and money is if they have a highly single-threaded task.
            Not to mention you need a very expensive Z87 or Z97 motherboard to overclock it. If you buy the i3, you can recover the difference by buying a cheaper motherboard. Pretty pointless product.

Comment

You don't need an expensive mobo. It's a good CPU for gamers since they can get excellent single-threaded performance on the cheap and spend their money on a better GPU.

Looking at newegg, this chip is $70 and the cheapest Haswell i3 (3.4GHz) is $125. That's a little more than a $20 difference...

Comment

without no major motherboard vendors having ported their tuning/overclocking software from Windows to Linux
                ^I think some thoughts collided there.

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
                  You mean FX-6300.

None of these low-end chips even get close to my 4.6 ghz 6300 :/

Comment

Originally posted by peppercats View Post
                    You mean FX-6300.

None of these low-end chips even get close to my 4.6 ghz 6300 :/
                    Lol that too - I own a 6300 myself, at 4.4GHz (with cool'n'quiet on - I'd rather get power savings than the extra 200mhz). I could maybe push it to 4.5 if I upped the voltage a little but I'm satisfied at 4.4.

I would have to say though, the 6300, even at its stock speed, is far more power consuming.

Comment

Working...
                    X