Next-Gen OpenGL To Be Announced Next Month

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by profoundWHALE View Post
    The way people are talking here it sounds like there wasn't. My mistake.

So I'm assuming it goes like this:
    Low Level: Mantle, Metal
    Mid Level: OpenGL/Directx
    High Level: SDL
    Almost. Mantle, Metal, OpenGL and D3D are all on the same tier.

Comment

I don't know that Mantle and Metal are any lower-level than, say, using OpenGL extensions for a particular piece of hardware.

Comment

Originally posted by Ancurio View Post
        This already exists. It's called SDL / SFML / Allegro / L?ve2D.
        SDL is not an abstraction for 3D rendering. It has some 2D functionality, but that's it.
        SFML is pretty much SDL in C++.
        Allegro seems to have some OpenGL/Directx wrapper. I don't think it abstracts much though (my first impression).
        L?ve2D is 2D only? LUA based game engine...

There are FOSS 3D engines out there like Ogre3D, Urho3D, Panda3D etc. But they all have their pros and cons, varying features, performance and complexity.

Comment

Originally posted by blackiwid View Post
          btw arm and x86 gaming market has very few overlaps, they dont use opengl they use openal as primary api, that maybe could be a way between opengl garbage and mantle a middle way.
          OpenAL is a SOUND API("Open" Audio Library). Get your facts straight.

Comment

Originally posted by johnc View Post
            I don't know that Mantle and Metal are any lower-level than, say, using OpenGL extensions for a particular piece of hardware.
            Extensions are extensions. I was going to add it on the list like this:

Low Level: Mantle, Metal, OpenGL Extensions, Directx 12
            Mid Level: OpenGL, Directx
            High Level: SDL? Irrlicht?

Basically it's not fair to add Dx12 since the next OpenGL hasn't been announced and OpenGL extensions are extensions, meaning we still have the whole mess of which way to do something and old legacy code.

Comment

Originally posted by log0 View Post
              SDL is not an abstraction for 3D rendering. It has some 2D functionality, but that's it.
              SFML is pretty much SDL in C++.
              Allegro seems to have some OpenGL/Directx wrapper. I don't think it abstracts much though (my first impression).
              L?ve2D is 2D only? LUA based game engine...

There are FOSS 3D engines out there like Ogre3D, Urho3D, Panda3D etc. But they all have their pros and cons, varying features, performance and complexity.
              I didn't say any of them abstracted 3D rendering. If you're going to do 3D, you're not going to want to go higher than OGL/D3D in the first place; what I meant was that the people who complain the most that their "convenient" glBegin/glEnd stuff is deprecated/gone in modern GL are the ones only aiming to render simple rectangles (2D games) anyways. For those people, there is no reason to use OGL directly.

Comment

Originally posted by CrystalGamma View Post
                OpenAL is a SOUND API("Open" Audio Library). Get your facts straight.
                there are nowadays 20 open-blablas, give me a break u know what I mean u have brain to think and I trust in you that u are intelligent enough that u know what I mean.

But to be 100% shure I meant opengl es

Comment

Originally posted by blackiwid View Post
                  there are nowadays 20 open-blablas, give me a break u know what I mean u have brain to think and I trust in you that u are intelligent enough that u know what I mean.

But to be 100% shure I meant opengl es
                  Wow, Shure is getting into OpenGL ES?

Comment

Originally posted by Ancurio View Post
                    I didn't say any of them abstracted 3D rendering. If you're going to do 3D, you're not going to want to go higher than OGL/D3D in the first place; what I meant was that the people who complain the most that their "convenient" glBegin/glEnd stuff is deprecated/gone in modern GL are the ones only aiming to render simple rectangles (2D games) anyways. For those people, there is no reason to use OGL directly.
                    If that was aimed at me, I'm more sad for vertex arrays than immediate mode. Immediate mode shouldn't have been there to begin with.

Comment

Originally posted by curaga View Post
                      If that was aimed at me, I'm more sad for vertex arrays than immediate mode. Immediate mode shouldn't have been there to begin with.
                      You are referring to VAOs, not VBOs, right?

Comment

Working...
                      X