No announcement yet.

AMD Releases A New Catalyst 14.6 Beta For Linux

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Installed it on my machine with ubuntu 14.04 and Radeon 7950. Had no problems with it.
    Also, it seems stable very stable. No problems at all this far. The few graphic clitches I had in DOTA2 have disapeared and I can see the same performance in DOTA2 and TF2. A slight increase in performance in Civ 5 and Metro Last Light.

Dispite the bad reputation Catalyst has, I would recommend it to everyone. I haven't had a single problem in a very long time now. (I had a problem when 14.4 came out but it came out to be a bug in Unity, not in Catalyst...switched to KDE and everything is fine now).

Originally posted by tusharkant15 View Post
    I have been facing this problem since 14.4 I think. OpenGL windows, most notably blender and chrome, are shifted by a few pixels on the right when maximized. Have they fixed it in this version??

P.S. OpenCL is very much a requirement for game developers. I've been using blender's opencl accelerated rendering and it is way way faster than the normal CPU rendering. It's not just for bit-coin mining you know!
    I actually haven't had this problem at all. Guess I am lucky . Hope it gets fixed for you.

Comment

Originally posted by vein View Post
      I actually haven't had this problem at all. Guess I am lucky . Hope it gets fixed for you.
      Try setting Chrome to use system titlebars if you aren't already and then restarting it.

Also, were you using the Stable branch Chrome? Did you have any flags set (like software renderer override)? Were you using a kernel above what AMD supports (I think anything above 3.13)?

I installed Ubuntu 14.04, updated it, installed kernel 3.16rc5, installed fglrx (after patching it for 3.13+ kernels), did initial config and restarted, installed Chrome, checked use system bars, maximized Chrome, and it was offset, as of about a few minutes ago.

Comment

Originally posted by Espionage724 View Post
        Try setting Chrome to use system titlebars if you aren't already and then restarting it.

Also, were you using the Stable branch Chrome? Did you have any flags set (like software renderer override)? Were you using a kernel above what AMD supports (I think anything above 3.13)?

I installed Ubuntu 14.04, updated it, installed kernel 3.16rc5, installed fglrx (after patching it for 3.13+ kernels), did initial config and restarted, installed Chrome, checked use system bars, maximized Chrome, and it was offset, as of about a few minutes ago.
        Well, I am using kernel 3.13 in my ubuntu machine and the stable branch of chrome. I haven't actually done anything more with ubuntu or chrome more than installed them.

Like I said, I apparantly got lucky

Comment

Installed it on my machine with ubuntu 14.04 and Radeon 7950. Had no problems with it.
          Also, it seems stable very stable. No problems at all this far. The few graphic clitches I had in DOTA2 have disapeared and I can see the same performance in DOTA2 and TF2. A slight increase in performance in Civ 5 and Metro Last Light.

Dispite the bad reputation Catalyst has, I would recommend it to everyone. I haven't had a single problem in a very long time now. (I had a problem when 14.4 came out but it came out to be a bug in Unity, not in Catalyst...switched to KDE and everything is fine now).

I have this problem randomly , but the mosty annoying are the freeze of chrome

Comment

Originally posted by tusharkant15 View Post
            P.S. OpenCL is very much a requirement for game developers. I've been using blender's opencl accelerated rendering and it is way way faster than the normal CPU rendering. It's not just for bit-coin mining you know!
            AMD Opencl is broken in renders... they're supposed to have a fix but it doesn't pass QA process, but once more there's no way to know if it just another lie.

Comment

Originally posted by Sdar View Post
              AMD Opencl is broken in renders... they're supposed to have a fix but it doesn't pass QA process, but once more there's no way to know if it just another lie.
              What other lies do you refer to?

Comment

What about "Mouse Cursor Corruption" bug when using multiple monitors?
                Anyone found a solution to it?

Comment

years ago they said that the Opencl bug is a HIGH PRIORITY ... i doubt it.
                  Performance graphs that are far from real performance (Mantle)
                  That Approaching Zero Driver Overhead in OpenGL conference in the GDC where it seems this new methods could be used now but is far from usable on amd right now.
                  Crossfire endless problems (You know well that this technology is not working as promised in a lot of cases and was a lot worst some years ago)
                  When they recommended upgrading to GCN cards to have a working opencl back in 2013 when they know it'll take them a lot of time to have this fixed.
                  Amd claiming ACP is comparable to TDP
                  That controversy around the firepro w8100 architecture.

Comment

I got a noticable increase in Civ 5 performance on my A10-6800K with the driver as well. Maybe a slight improvement in XCom as well, though it was already running really nice.

On the downside whatever is wrong with that Mount & Blade Warband Beta that makes it not work with Catalyst is still there. I have to believe it's the game's fault though since literally everything else runs like a dream.

Comment

Short feedback for the new 14.6 Beta:
                      No changes to the old 14.6 Beta for me. Still not faster in Unigine Valley, still graphical glitches when scrolling fast through lists. Also kernel update (from 3.15 to 3.16RC5) didn't change anything.

Xubuntu 14.04 64Bit, Kernel 3.16 RC5, R9 270

I would also like to compare the performance to the open source driver... but that driver is broken for me somehow. System (or x-server?) hangs and locks when I try to start steam or Unigine Valley on latest oibaf-driver. Anybody has a hint?

Comment

Working...
                      X