KDE Plasma 5 Officially Released

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by pandev92 View Post
    I won't use kde anymore, since they use the sh't of oxygen theme for the applications.
    They said it multiple time... Breeze is still not ready for production and will be available soon!

Comment

Originally posted by Sho_ View Post
      I'd estimate we rewrote about 80% of the workspace in the end. And yet actually went quite fast. Back in September we had a wallpaper (with no configuration, IIRC), a test widget and some very broken panels; now we have what's in this embedded video, and much of what you see there was written from scratch in the months since (or ported with non-trivial changes)
      It looks very promising! I'm hoping having the focus on framework, plasma, .. applications, helps stability, but is flexible enough for changes to improve workflows.

Really looking forward to trying a Wayland based KDE desktop!

Comment

Hey, where'd all the color go? All the icons are in 50's retro black and white now. I liked the shiny, colorful, and futuristic look of oxygen.

Comment

Originally posted by Prescience500 View Post
          Hey, where'd all the color go? All the icons are in 50's retro black and white now. I liked the shiny, colorful, and futuristic look of oxygen.
          unfortunately lots of people complained that the Oxygen icons are outdated.

Comment

Are themes/icon sets/window decorations from KDE4 usable with this? I'm a bit reluctant to switch if I'm stuck with the default theme for some time.

Comment

Originally posted by Tom B View Post
              Are themes/icon sets/window decorations from KDE4 usable with this? I'm a bit reluctant to switch if I'm stuck with the default theme for some time.
              • Plasma themes: 99% compatible. Plasma 5 added some new theme elements so old themes aren't 100% compatible without some minor updates, but nothing that really breaks general visual appearance.
              • Application themes: They need to be ported to Qt 5/KF5. It's not hard, but it means someone needs to have done that work, packaged it, etc.
              • Icon themes: Compatible.
              • Window decorations: For C++ ones, same situation as application themes (port, package). For Aurorae themes that don't have compiled code, compatible.

We ported the KDE 4 default application theme and decoration. The Air and Oxygen Plasma themes are also still bundled. QtCurve is available for Qt 5.

Comment

Awful theme

The default KDE theme makes Windows 8 look good. I don't really like the new Gnome, but at least it is visually appealing.

Comment

well

horrible default interface again, i will try it to see if i go to kde or not in future

Comment

Simple wonderful!
                    Thank you!!

Comment

Originally posted by Sho_ View Post
                      • Plasma themes: 99% compatible. Plasma 5 added some new theme elements so old themes aren't 100% compatible without some minor updates, but nothing that really breaks general visual appearance.
                      • Application themes: They need to be ported to Qt 5/KF5. It's not hard, but it means someone needs to have done that work, packaged it, etc.
                      • Icon themes: Compatible.
                      • Window decorations: For C++ ones, same situation as application themes (port, package). For Aurorae themes that don't have compiled code, compatible.

We ported the KDE 4 default application theme and decoration. The Air and Oxygen Plasma themes are also still bundled. QtCurve is available for Qt 5.
                      Awesome, I'll definitely give it a go then as soon as it appears on the official arch repositories. It does look like a huge step forward, but as the posters above said the default KDE interface always seems to look ugly. I've always felt that KDE would get a lot more interest/market share if it shipped with a better default theme. That said, (from the video) it looks like Plasma 5 is a step in the right direction.

Comment

Working...
                      X