KDE Plasma 5 Officially Released

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by F i L View Post
    ..and most users are unfamiliar with (and probably don't care about) pinning windows, or a tooltip toggling (or whatever that '?' button does).. so they shouldn't be there by default.
    Pinning windows is way out of the way where most people won't even notice it. The meaning of a "?" symbol is pretty well-understood, and is only visible when it is important. Otherwise the default button layout is pretty standard.

i agree. which is why i didn't suggest removing that one.
    You said "It would take me 20 minutes to currently explain to my mom/grandma what button she should click to close a window,". Again, I don't see why it would take 20 minutes to tell someone "click the X button", which anyone who used pretty much any other desktop environment besides OsX would know anyway.

been awhile, my bad.
    Therein lies the problem. You are trying to give advice to KDE developers, without actually knowing whether your complaints are even valid. That doesn't give people much reason to give any credence to your complaints.

sure, but i disagree with "this is the whole point of plasma" a bit.
    This is not a matter of agreeing or disagreeing. That is the fundamental plasma architecture. In order for them to do things your way, they would have to throw away the entire plasma desktop environment and write something new from scratch.

We can disagree about this all day, but in my experience this is a major confusion for every person who I introduced to KDE. Thus my "should be more hidden" comment, and I stand by it. Ultimately, all of these points should take statistical analysis into consideration when talking about default settings... and I would bet a lot on the common person being confused about KDE's Activities.
    This isn't about us disagreeing, the issue was discussed by the plasma developers and they rejected the idea. If you wish to try to make the argument to them again, feel free. But I suggest you read the previous discussion (which you clearly haven't) and find out the basics of how plasma works and what its actual defaults are (which you also clearly haven't).

watched the video, but didn't study it. Posted right before bed mate. chill..
    You had enough time to write a really long post criticizing KDE, but couldn't be bothered to spend 10 seconds to see if your complaints were actually valid?

It's all named KWhatever on my Arch machine which I assumed was a pretty vanilla setup.
    No new KDE SC application in the last 7 or 8 years has been named "kwhaterever". Old applications and libraries generally have not had their names change, that is why you still see them. You named at least two without that pattern yourself (dolphin and plasma). Also nepomuk, baloo, phonon, calligra, akonadi, solid, etc. Again, how useful your complaints are is directly proportional to how well they actually apply to KDE.

Yeah i know it was possible to rename these things, which is why I said 'defaults'.
    I am talking about the defaults. The more prominent name is exactly the name you requested.

best would be to depreciate the least supported one, or if one is supposed to be a "code editor" and the other a "text editor" then name them that.
    No, they are not going to deprecate either of them. They are different programs with different goals and different target use-cases. Heck, even windows still has notepad and wordpad. However, thanks to the flexibility of KDE's libraries kate and kwrite are mostly just different GUIs on top of the same core technology. But this is a moot point, since KDE developers have found a way to do what you requested without renaming anything.

Comment

best would be to depreciate the least supported one, or if one is supposed to be a "code editor" and the other a "text editor" then name them that.
      Kate = K.A.T.E. = K(DE) Advanced Text Editor

The name already is the description.

Comment

Working...
      X