Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• KDE Plasma 5 Officially Released

Phoronix: KDE Plasma 5 Officially Released

Just days after the KDE Frameworks 5 release, the KDE development community is scoring an on-time release of the new Plasma 5!..

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Whilst I like the new visual improvements, I'm still not a fan of the default theme used for applications though.

Comment

Originally posted by Britoid View Post
      Whilst I like the new visual improvements, I'm still not a fan of the default theme used for applications though.
      We still have big plans there .

This development cycle was a huge amount of work - I'd estimate we rewrote about 80% of the workspace in the end. And yet actually went quite fast. Back in September we had a wallpaper (with no configuration, IIRC), a test widget and some very broken panels; now we have what's in this embedded video, and much of what you see there was written from scratch in the months since (or ported with non-trivial changes). This tied up a lot of manpower, and the Visual Design Group had to make due with far less developer resources than I'm sure they'd have liked. For example, actually implementing a new style engine wasn't in the cards, but might happen down the road (but this hasn't been decided yet).
      Last edited by Sho_; 15 July 2014, 09:33 AM.

Comment

What's the easy way to try out Plasma 5 released today?

Comment

Originally posted by mark45 View Post
          I just checked the AUR repository and it has the plasma-desktop updated to 5.0 If you're an Arch user, that would be the fastest way.

Comment

Originally posted by mark45 View Post
            The Kubuntu team was a big aid during development by producing weekly snapshot ISOs in their "Neon 5" project; last week's image should be quite close to what's in the 5.0 tag. Note that a dev distro doesn't guarantee production grade fit and finish on the integration side (since it also represents a snapshot of the distro's efforts on that end), but then a live CD doesn't run the risk of eating your datas.

Comment

Originally posted by Sho_ View Post
              We still have big plans there .

This development cycle was a huge amount of work - I'd estimate we rewrote about 80% of the workspace in the end. And yet actually went quite fast. Back in September we had a wallpaper (with no configuration, IIRC), a test widget and some very broken panels; now we have what's in this embedded video, and much of what you see there was written from scratch in the months since (or ported with non-trivial changes). This tied up a lot of manpower, and the Visual Design Group had to make due with far less developer resources than I'm sure they'd have liked. For example, actually implementing a new style engine wasn't in the cards, but might happen down the road (but this hasn't been decided yet).
              Thanks for the reply.

That's great, I'm not a very fond of the metallic look, but that's just my taste.

Comment

I won't use kde anymore, since they use the sh't of oxygen theme for the applications.

Comment

Originally posted by pandev92 View Post
                  I won't use kde anymore, since they use the sh't of oxygen theme for the applications.
                  Yes, because if there's one thing that KDE really really sucks at, is themability. Everything is so hardcoded and unchangeable!

---

Kudos to the KDE devs! It's nice to see that the desktop is still getting a lot of love. Hopefully the next releases will finish the Qt5 migration and start bringing neat features!

After years in the KDE camp I'm on the Unity side now --- mainly because I felt that KDE was not getting enough bugfixing and attention to detail --- but patiently await the day of my return

Comment

those icons & window glows and buttons ! the horror ... the horror

the rest is very nice !

Comment

Working...
                    X