No announcement yet.

Raspberry Pi B+ - Still Slow, But A Small Improvement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What's "weird" with a non-profit organization?

Originally posted by caligula View Post
    Well the weird thing is RPi is non-profit and other ARM boards are for-profit. OTOH if you pay $5 more, you get multiple times more performance. Obviously the RPi guys have wasted money on useless efforts like marketing. It probably also cost them a lot to fix the firmware (usb and sb bugs), upgraded hw revisions since the usb power was crap all the time.
    You are either ignorant of the fact that RPi is a non-profit foundation with the purpose of promoting an exceptional educational tool (the RPi) or you are just trolling. So, which is it?

As duly noted by other posters above, the RPi is not about performance. If you are worried about the performance of an ARM development board, you have many choices. Currently the highest performance ARM development is the NVIDIA Jetson TK1, it costs around $200 and uses a fan to cool the CPU. And of course my Xeon workstation runs rings around the TK1 when, for example, cross-compiling a Linux kernel.

If you just need a little bit more processing power than provided by the RPi, you should check the Banana Pi, it has a dual core Cortex A7 CPU and approx. the same dimensions as the RPi. Last time I checked it was also 50% more expensive than the RPi.

Comment

Originally posted by nomadewolf View Post
      I've been checking the HummingBoard caligula mentioned, and it looks impressive.
      I was looking at "cubieboard 8" that looks impressive, although not sure when release date is..
      According to this page: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cubieboard

It has 4-core Cortex-A15 CPU and 4-core Cortex-A7 CPU, USB 3.0, 2GB RAM, 8GB on-board storage, and says it can decode h265 and can support 4K display..

I really want some thing that can decode h265, since that codec will be showing up more and more as time goes on..

I just hope some thing like cubieboard 8 has a good XBMC distro made for it..

Comment

Originally posted by AndrewDB View Post
        You are either ignorant of the fact that RPi is a non-profit foundation with the purpose of promoting an exceptional educational tool (the RPi) or you are just trolling. So, which is it?

As duly noted by other posters above, the RPi is not about performance. If you are worried about the performance of an ARM development board, you have many choices. Currently the highest performance ARM development is the NVIDIA Jetson TK1, it costs around $200 and uses a fan to cool the CPU. And of course my Xeon workstation runs rings around the TK1 when, for example, cross-compiling a Linux kernel.

If you just need a little bit more processing power than provided by the RPi, you should check the Banana Pi, it has a dual core Cortex A7 CPU and approx. the same dimensions as the RPi. Last time I checked it was also 50% more expensive than the RPi.
        Thanks for the tip!
        I wasn't aware of Banana Pi. Looks good enough!
        But i was impressed with the HummingBoard.
        I already knew about jetson, but the fact that it needs a fan and that i got screwed by nvidia in the past threw me off.

Comment

Jetson is a classical Phoronix star as it has nice benchmarks, tries to be the best. IMHO for makers/hackers and for education the SBC must be noticeably cheaper than a real and modern x86 PC/laptop. Let say $200 for fanless Bay Trail PC and $300 for Bay Trail laptop (both quad core).

What I would criticize is the dualism between foundation goal and being fixed to one board and one board idea. Android has very big user base, it has apps including those for education or even for Arduino programming. I wonder why foundation rejects the possibility to be present on likely the most popular mobile system available also on cheap phones, tablets and dongles. Arduino is already there. Like "almost always" schools or homes will already have x86 PC/laptops. Why does hardware hacking / hardware scripting must be limited to a small SBC? Why not to provide applications and education aids for non-RPi systems? Not everyone wants all the overhead of running additional small PC. RPI based Kano project makes a orange keyboard and RPi required in their sets which for long distance shipping makes pointless prices And there is no reason not to make a joint venture with Arduino or mBed or PyMCU or MicroPython or what not

Looking at local RPi prices and Banana price on dx.com the new fruit is less than 8% more expensive than the old one for me. But I don't need that one. Whats worth noting is that Android consumer hardware is getting cheaper than Raspberry. On dx RK3188 quad core / 2GB RAM Android dongles already are bit below RPi price (while they run Android and if you need it - Linux with some video limitations).

Comment

Working...
          X