Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 77

Thread: Ubuntu With Linux 3.16 Smashes OS X 10.9.4 On The MacBook Air

  1. #11
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Porto
    Posts
    264

    Default lol

    Quote Originally Posted by Filiprino View Post
    OS X is pretty, that's all.
    And it's called GNU Linux, not Linux. Linux is the kernel, like Linux in Android.

  2. #12
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    479

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Filiprino View Post
    Actually, the exact name to receive the same treatment as the rest of OS would be to call it just GNU. You don't say NT Kernel nor Darwin, and even you don't say Linux in the case of Android. You say Windows, OS X and Android.
    System branding. People don't normally say "Linux" in that context you are taking about, instead they say "Ubuntu" or "Red Hat".

  3. #13
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    MA, USA
    Posts
    1,440

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Filiprino View Post
    OS X is pretty, that's all.
    And it's called GNU Linux, not Linux. Linux is the kernel, like Linux in Android.
    Undermining other OSes and correcting people into saying "GNU Linux" (which, as stated previously, isn't even completely correct) is exactly why people hate the linux community - it makes us look very pretentious.

    People understand that:
    *Linux isn't an OS, it's a kernel.
    *KDE5 isn't a thing - it's actually KDE frameworks 5 and plasma workspaces 2.
    *Saying "PIN number" is redundant, even though it is often spoken for clarification.
    *A yellow traffic light means "yield", not "speed up"
    *It's not correct to call people from the US as "Americans" because that refers to everyone from both North and South Americas.

    the list goes on and on. These are things nearly everyone knows, but people CHOOSE to ignore them, for varying reasons.

  4. #14
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    371

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by schmidtbag View Post
    These are things nearly everyone knows, but people CHOOSE to ignore them, for varying reasons.
    I ignore them mainly because it upsets FSFags

  5. #15
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    2

    Default

    The only other comparison I would like to see power management seeing as a large part of the Air's appeal is its long battery life.

  6. #16
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    458

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Filiprino View Post
    OS X is pretty, that's all.
    And it's called GNU Linux, not Linux. Linux is the kernel, like Linux in Android.
    It's great when someone tries so hard to be anything but ignorant, and then ends up being totally ignorant.

  7. #17
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Scotland
    Posts
    115

    Default

    It would have been more beneficial to bench against OSX 10.10 considering Linux 3.16 is not a final release.

  8. #18
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Porto
    Posts
    264

    Default ok

    Quote Originally Posted by ciferkey View Post
    The only other comparison I would like to see power management seeing as a large part of the Air's appeal is its long battery life.
    i have 5 hours of battery life with a cheap asus notebook with a garbage battery is almost certain with a macbook air you have a lot more, kernel 3.15 and 3.16 improves a lot the battery life

  9. #19
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Sweden
    Posts
    367

    Default

    The reason I call it "Linux" is because "GNU" is ugly as hell. And also, people wouldn't know what I'm talking about if I said "GNU".

  10. #20
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    101

    Default

    Code:
    The reason I call it "Linux" is because "GNU" is ugly as hell. And also, people wouldn't know what I'm talking about if I said "GNU".
    OS X doesn't look better either. Porn comes to mind.

    Quote Originally Posted by profoundWHALE View Post
    It's great when someone tries so hard to be anything but ignorant, and then ends up being totally ignorant.
    You're the ignorant here, mister.

    Undermining other OSes and correcting people into saying "GNU Linux" (which, as stated previously, isn't even completely correct) is exactly why people hate the linux community - it makes us look very pretentious.

    People understand that:
    *Linux isn't an OS, it's a kernel.
    *KDE5 isn't a thing - it's actually KDE frameworks 5 and plasma workspaces 2.
    *Saying "PIN number" is redundant, even though it is often spoken for clarification.
    *A yellow traffic light means "yield", not "speed up"
    *It's not correct to call people from the US as "Americans" because that refers to everyone from both North and South Americas.

    the list goes on and on. These are things nearly everyone knows, but people CHOOSE to ignore them, for varying reasons.
    Calling it GNU/Linux is completely correct. Userland is full GNU, including the vastly used Linux API implementation: glibc. Graphics interface is an add-on that doesn't count and is outside the main user land.
    KDE is called KDE SC, KDE Software Compilation which uses KDE Framework and Plasma Workspaces in a similar manner GNU uses Linux.

    The rest, I'm OK with that and you could call people from the US as "americans" because they're in America so americans is their generic type but programs for native Android are not valid for GNU nor BusyBox.

    Code:
    System branding. People don't normally say "Linux" in that context you are taking about, instead they say "Ubuntu" or "Red Hat".
    But in fact those are GNU/Linux systems. Their generic type is GNU which abstracts Linux.
    Today I think I'll download Debian GNU/Linux.
    Last edited by Filiprino; 07-14-2014 at 03:03 PM.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •