• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by aphirst View Post
    "waah it doesn't work with smplayer, where's muh guiiiiiiiii???"
    But there is.

Comment

Wow, just installed mpv 0.4.1 (thank you ARCH) ! Absolutely no video tearing using nVidia vdpau on a 3-headed display under KDE with full compositing. Doesn't matter which monitor I drag to and go to full screen--no tearing. Disable compositing, and still no tearing! I've never seen tear-free playback no matter what window manager, settings, or player I've tried--especially with compositing enabled.

Great job, mpv!

Comment

Originally posted by mgmartin View Post
        I've never seen tear-free playback
        Did you ever try v-sync set to always on in KDE settings?.. That gives me tear-freeness in KDE.. I am using AMD card though and the open-source radeon driver..

Comment

Originally posted by Baconmon View Post
          Did you ever try v-sync set to always on in KDE settings?.. That gives me tear-freeness in KDE.. I am using AMD card though and the open-source radeon driver..
          I've played with the KDE tearing options, and, nvidia driver has some vsync settings too. mpv is just making it work, so problem solved !

Update:
          Oh no, I was messing with some of the kde/nvidia settings, and see tearing in mpv now. Back to figuring out what I did...
          Last edited by mgmartin; 14 July 2014, 10:33 PM.

Comment

Update:
            Oh no, I was messing with some of the kde/nvidia settings, and see tearing in mpv now. Back to figuring out what I did...
            Looks like the real fix for me is setting KDE Tearing Prevention to Full scene repaints -- no tearing in vlc, mpv, or mplayer. Not not sure why mpv seemed better earlier.

Thanks, Baconmon, for the tip.

Comment

Originally posted by Vidar View Post
              Good luck with building that mess.

Comment

Looks like the real fix for me is setting KDE Tearing Prevention to Full scene repaints -- no tearing in vlc, mpv, or mplayer. Not not sure why mpv seemed better earlier.

Thanks, Baconmon, for the tip.
                Tick 'bypass compositor for fullscreen apps'. You absolutely dont need compositing while watching video in fullscreen, just more uploads to GPU and then back to CPU. VDPAU or opengl outputs automatically enable vsync, or seems so

Comment

Originally posted by johnc View Post
                  The irony is... I have the programming skills but absolutely zero motivation to go and re-invent the wheel with a replacement for SMPlayer.

We seem to have this problem in the Linux world. A program finally matures and is pretty solid and sure enough the community says, "Away with it! Let's redo it all over! Because!"

There are only a couple of things in MPV that are worth keeping and it'd be far better if they could just be merged into mplayer2, but it sounds like the mplayer2 maintainer has totally checked out on life.
                  Just asking:
                  What do MPV / mplayer / mplayer2 provide that vlc and xmbc do not provide?

Comment

Originally posted by tomtomme View Post
                    Just asking:
                    What do MPV / mplayer / mplayer2 provide that vlc and xmbc do not provide?
                    mplayer->mplayer2->mpv FTFY
                    I have vlc installed as phonon needs it (better than gstreamer0.10, not much choice here) and on windowze machine purely just to stream desktop.
                    vlc is a jack of all trades which does many things but good at none. It offers more extended functionality like playlists and streaming. But that comes at the cost of rubustness: I had no succes with using GL output on it, issues with decoding of some popular formats, and even the streaming works 50% of time. While on the topic of UI, it selected wrong language by default, and while I was crawling through options trying to find language option with that little knowledge I had I found that there is none. Googling confirmed that you can't change UI language

mpv works, I just have to choose preferred output and do a little customization in configs. I even ~forced~ it on my family members that use exclusively windowze and they are completely happy with, having no need for UI with dozens of options inside they can double click file and watch movies.

Comment

Originally posted by RealNC View Post
                      Good luck with building that mess.
                      I've been using it on Arch for months now but in the past 1-2 months i've been unable to use it cuz it crashes a lot :\

Comment

Working...
                      X