Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I read that as Darkstalkers... sigh

Comment

Personally I have few issues with Steam DRM; it has never given me problems. Few other DRMs can say that. Of course I prefer DRM-free, but as long as I can play my bloody games, I'm mostly happy.

Comment

Originally posted by TheCycoONE View Post
        This old debate comes up over and over. I have two strong reservations against steam.

a) There is no way to obtain the game without connecting to the internet using closed source software.
        b) They don't offer any way to distinguish games using steamworks drm from those that don't, except for someone to buy the game and try it.

Whether you consider this to be DRM or not, it's enough to make me shop elsewhere.
        i might be wrong but i belive in the past you could create a dvd backup of your games thru steam, also after its downloaded you can play the game with steam offline unless the game is 100% online but thats not steam's fault.
        Yes steam = DRM but steam also = DRM done right.

Comment

Steam is DRM. Valve has never hidden this fact.

That said, some developers on Steam have provided their games on such a way that they can be ripped from Steam by the average user:

Valve themselves have also provided Half-Life 2 in this manner so kudos to them there.

As for people who dont care (or likely understand) what DRM is. All I can say is this: "they that can give up liberty to obtain a little temporary entertainment deserve neither liberty nor entertainment". - Slightly altered from Benjamin Franklin

As always, piracy is the best form of protest, and I look forward to seeing Darksiders for Linux on thepiratebay.

Some may call me a "freetard" but I would be quite happy to pay a couple of hundred quid to get the source code. So I guess what I am not is a "cheaptard"

Comment

Originally posted by Kemosabe View Post
            This is far from anything i said but you have a strong desire to post something, do you?
            see below:

Originally posted by AJenbo View Post
            Steam != DRM, its an optional feature.
            Originally posted by Kemosabe View Post
            [...]Is it?[...]
            Originally posted by droste View Post
            Even if everybody would be using it, it would not change the fact, that it is optional.[...]

Comment

My "Is it" was not related to the question you cited above and i still did not say there are no drm free games on steam.
              This wastes forum space so stop it please

Comment

You quoted that "Steam != DRM, its an optional feature." and asked "Is it?"! How should anyone know that these things are not related?

And my forum space wasting is less than yours
                You: >100 posts per year (and rising!)
                Me: <100 posts per year

Comment

Originally posted by kpedersen View Post
                  As for people who dont care (or likely understand) what DRM is. All I can say is this: "they that can give up liberty to obtain a little temporary entertainment deserve neither liberty nor entertainment". - Slightly altered from Benjamin Franklin

As always, piracy is the best form of protest, and I look forward to seeing Darksiders for Linux on thepiratebay.

Some may call me a "freetard" but I would be quite happy to pay a couple of hundred quid to get the source code. So I guess what I am not is a "cheaptard"
                  Maybe you are not a "cheaptard" but a (no not "re-") but a hypocrite. Why would you want the source code of a game? What would you do with that? I can see little benefit in having access to a games source code - even more so paying "hundreds of quid" for that. Unless of course you are a game developer who specializes in rip-offs. I still assume that you just wanted to post "something" that justifies software piracy with some humdrum "arguments".

And about the "altered quote": Yes it's little temporary entertainment - I couldn't care less whether it is open source or some closed source hack.

Comment

Yeah, well, the game actually is DRM-free, even though it's targeting Steam (i.e. it will work without the client running). Just my $0.02.

Comment

Originally posted by kpedersen View Post

You are just an idiot. Here is why:
                      1. To count as a protest your actions must be made aware to the people that have made the decision you are protesting against, so that they can reconsider that decision. I seriously doubt that you will inform the publishers that you have pirated the game instead of buying it.
                      2. You are hurting anyone involved in the process of making the game for a decision made by the publisher, no matter if those other persons have had any influence on the decision.
                      3. You are hurting Linux gaming in general with that attitude. If I were a publisher I would reconsider to create Linux versions of my games, only to see them pirated by zealots just because I have chosen the same distribution channel (the by far largest gaming distributor in existence) for the Linux version as for the other versions.

So in short: You are just a freeloader desperately searching for a moral reason to justify his actions. If you really want to protest DRM, go ahead, don't buy the game and tell the publishers that you won't buy it unless they release it DRM free. Just pirating it and disguising that as some form of protest is pure hypocrisy.

Comment

Working...
                      X