The Witcher 2 Works On Beta Improvements

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Ancurio View Post
    What exactly is not native about The Witcher 2? I'm pretty sure the game is compiled to native linux ELF binaries.
    Oh, one more fooled customer of Virtual Porting.

Check contents of those files with HEX editor:
    witcher2.vpfs
    VPFS_registry.vpfsdb
    You'll be surprised.

Comment

Got all excited until I read that performance will still be abysmal.

Comment

I wouldn't call performance abysmal. Just bad.
        The new patched executable is a lot more stable for me, I haven't manage to crash it yet. I do still see some graphical glitches, but definitely less.
        It plays pretty good on custom (mediumish) settings for me.
        On the same hardware on Windows, I couldn't run it on very high either. Just about highish.

Comment

Originally posted by emblemparade View Post
          Any Unity3D game is not native on any platform, because it runs mostly on a virtual machine (C#/Mono). Minecraft is not native because it runs on the JVM. Really, almost all Android apps are not native because of Dalvik.

Nobody should care if a game is "native" or not. All that matters is the bottom line: does it run well? In this case, Witcher 2 does not run well, at all. The problems may be due to its engine, or maybe not. But it seems everyone posting in the forums is an expert and knows exactly what the devs did wrong! Hooray for the forum experts.
          That's not really true. The Unity3D engine is C++, and native. Only the Engine scripting is C#/Mono

Comment

Originally posted by shmerl View Post
            It's not a waste of time, if native is not an option at all.

On a side note, my favorite Witcher 2 trailer: https://youtube.com/watch?v=bNAsFBjP_7w
            +1
            I still have/use windows really mainly for games, and have absolutely zero problems with devs that are willing to at a minimum wrap their stuff in wine and get it running well.

Configuring things in wine is just not all that fun. I used to do this alot but just gave up on things that can't be quickly gotten functioning and booted to windows... ...and yes, this does include some apps as well as games...

Comment

Originally posted by przemoli View Post
              Made multi threaded engine, into single threaded one.

That plus normal boatload of bugs, and boatload of driver bugs.

Now they work on multi threading that engine again.

(Yes, gpu commands are created on same core as main game thread. Wine with some patches use separate core)
              And a bad native port could have had the same issues.

Comment

I didn't buy it when it was 4$, but I would happily buy it at 20$ if they fix the performance.
                Has anyone here tried it on a Radeon HD 6750m or something close?

Comment

Originally posted by SyXbiT View Post
                  The Unity3D engine is C++
                  So is WINE.

Comment

Originally posted by sarmad View Post
                    Has anyone here tried it on a Radeon HD 6750m or something close?
                    HD 6770M here, minimum setting : 15fps top. I played it from start to end but few have that kind of stubbornness

Comment

Originally posted by Azpegath View Post
                      Bullshit. Let the companies port their games however suits them and stop wining. Three years ago, you hardly had a single AAA game on GNU/Linux, now you have Steam loaded with them. The end result is the most important thing, and you'd have no idea if it's native or not if it works well enough. Personally, I'd like more companies and developers to use open APIs to test them, help improve, or at least force improvements on them. Like OpenGL.
                      Wrong, eON/Wine/Crossover/Cedega and Adobe AIR/Flash based games are a massive waste of time money and effort for everyone, most of all the users that end up with a barely working, CPU killing game.

I'd rather not have Wotcher2 at all then have the current eON port as theres no way they'll ever get this non native port to run well unless the user has the hardware to get a playable framerate via brute force because the game is multi threaded but eON is only single threaded and it's like WINE so the specs need to be substantially higher then what the Windows specs where just to get anything to run even if it was a single threaded game.

tl;dr maybe in another 5 years the average system will be able to play Witcher2, long after anyone would care.

Comment

Working...
                      X