Firefox Might Finally Be Moving Closer To Better KDE Integration

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by dee. View Post
    I've never written a dictionary nor do I have any inclination to do so. I believe the word you're looking for is "vocabulary".

Fascinating. Who's the "rest of you"? Do you see these people often? Do they show up at times of stress? Conjuring up an imaginary majority to support your cause won't do you any good though. The last I checked, people using grammatically correct English in their daily life were pretty solidly in the minority. Even people who speak english as their native language often have a fairly limited grasp on the rules of the language. Not to mention that the entire english language is a clusterfuck of throwaways from other languages cobbled together to distantly resemble something like a coherent grammar.

Evidently. That aside, you're basically saying that everyone who uses the word "irregardless" or "alot" or says "literally" when they mean "figuratively" are just making that shit up on the spot, instead of... oh, I don't know, repeating learned behaviour which they pick up from social interactions with people around them? Nah, that'd be crazy...

If you point out some mistakes I've made I'll be happy to correct them. Also, unless you're giving me a blowjob I'm not expecting you to swallow anything.

However, consider this: you can spend your life fighting people who don't use words the way you think they should be used, but at the end of the day, people are going to use those words in whatever ways they want anyway. If you want a static language that never changes, stick with Latin or something. Actual live languages are much trickier animals... they don't care about committees or dictionaries or official definitions, real live languages work purely on consensus: when enough people use "irregardless" as a word, it becomes a legitimate word by default - even if you think it's totally stupid and redundant, it's still a legitimate word... eventually, the dictionaries and even the anal-retentive language purists have no choice but to yield and accept the inevitable. And that's how languages evolve and that's why we're not having this pleasant chat in ye olde englishe.

The same pattern has been happening for as long as language has existed, and it will keep on happening, no matter how many hissyfits are thrown. I suggest you make your peace with it... you're of course free to take that advice or ignore it.
    Just an observation here, but you would think after 100+ years in existence, it maybe would could have made it in to a dictionary as a real word, yes? Even through the sheer force of use by the ignorant unwashed masses, it still isn't. It's so overwhelmingly used I'm blinded by the audacity of its use! Which in my personal experience is maybe 3 times in 30 years.

It receives the dictionaries equivalent to a hyperlink to its parent word, regardless, which does a better job of doing exactly what irregardless tries to achieve, in less letters and actually literary sense. But, your future-gazing predictions say it's coming, even is slowly, so I should probably just get over it and make it happen faster and actually sponsor this nonsense.

And thank you for the observation my life is so very stressful. I had not realised my move to tropical north Queensland would have such a negative impact.Look up 'The Strand, Townsville'. If you'd like picture proof, I could PM one to you if you like. Maybe I'll even include one with a BJ, despite preferring fresh bearded clams.
    Hi

Comment

Extensions

To be honest - make Qupzilla compatible with the FF extensions and I will be happy as a clown.

Comment

Originally posted by stiiixy View Post
        Just an observation here, but you would think after 100+ years in existence, it maybe would could have made it in to a dictionary as a real word, yes? Even through the sheer force of use by the ignorant unwashed masses, it still isn't. It's so overwhelmingly used I'm blinded by the audacity of its use! Which in my personal experience is maybe 3 times in 30 years.

It receives the dictionaries equivalent to a hyperlink to its parent word, regardless, which does a better job of doing exactly what irregardless tries to achieve, in less letters and actually literary sense. But, your future-gazing predictions say it's coming, even is slowly, so I should probably just get over it and make it happen faster and actually sponsor this nonsense.
        You don't have to do anything you don't want to do. Language however doesn't really obey the rules of logic or even common sense. Is "irregardless" a stupid and unnecessary word? Maybe, but that's not going to stop it from being used. A lot of other things about english don't make one lick of sense either (pronounciation rules, hello) but they're considered proper grammar purely on the merit of "that's just how it's always been"...

So just remember, trying to stop words from being used is a battle you can not win. You can keep trying to be a paragon of proper language and educate the unwashed masses, but in the end it's not really going to make any difference. People use whatever words they use and getting agitated about it will only wear your own nerves.

And thank you for the observation my life is so very stressful. I had not realised my move to tropical north Queensland would have such a negative impact.Look up 'The Strand, Townsville'. If you'd like picture proof, I could PM one to you if you like. Maybe I'll even include one with a BJ, despite preferring fresh bearded clams.
        Thanks, but I have quite enough BJ pics in my collection for now.

Comment

Regardless of how either of you feel, this discussion is literally going off topic now.

Comment

Originally posted by dee. View Post
            You don't have to do anything you don't want to do. Language however doesn't really obey the rules of logic or even common sense. Is "irregardless" a stupid and unnecessary word? Maybe, but that's not going to stop it from being used. A lot of other things about english don't make one lick of sense either (pronounciation rules, hello) but they're considered proper grammar purely on the merit of "that's just how it's always been"...

So just remember, trying to stop words from being used is a battle you can not win. You can keep trying to be a paragon of proper language and educate the unwashed masses, but in the end it's not really going to make any difference. People use whatever words they use and getting agitated about it will only wear your own nerves.

Thanks, but I have quite enough BJ pics in my collection for now.
            That's cute.

Maybe you should worry about your own life and stop trying to convince others they are shit, implying they don't understand 'how the world REALLY works according to dee' and all based around a simple nonsense word which you seemingly have a fetish for.
            Hi

Comment

Originally posted by stiiixy View Post
              That's cute.
              No, this is cute:

Maybe you should worry about your own life and stop trying to convince others they are shit,
              Whoa, hold it right there. No one ever called you a "shit" besides yourself. It's not really my responsibility to deal with your self-esteem issues either - I can sympathize, but if you feel like a "shit", then that's something you should probably work on, maybe get some therapy or something... in any case, it's not something you can hold others accountable for.

Comment

Working...
              X