No announcement yet.

Firefox Might Finally Be Moving Closer To Better KDE Integration

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Question: Can you use the Qt toolkit as a widget toolkit (Just like Gtk+) so you don't have to rewrite your application in Qt?

Comment

Originally posted by Luke_Wolf View Post
      Believe me it's not addons, and it's a problem with all browsers as it's a javascript problem not a addon problem, and if you look around this forum you'll find that other people are having the same problem (The other day in the x32 thread Marc Driftmeyer's firefox session was at 6GB, I've consistently had it leak out to 4GB, Chromium it's harder to track the overall usage but 40MB processes regularly bloat out to 200MB or more just leaving the browser sitting there).

Chrome so far is the nicest because its process model means that although it grows, and eventually you will have to restart the main process due to leakage the javascript leaks are usually confined to the page they're on which means I can close the tab to end the process and stave off that part of the leak whereas with firefox you're running a single process which means you can't reclaim that leaked memory without completely closing and reopening the web browser which I end up having to do.
      If you are honestly getting memory leaks up to 4GB without any addons (which i doubt) you should file a bug report. That is NOT typical behavior, and they'll want to fix it so you'll get high priority for a fix.

Comment

Everything about KDE integration has always been meet with "WONTFIX" attitude by moz devs.
        I thought about doing some of it myself once but got the impression from devs that they wouldn't accept it even if someone did it.
        That they say that they're open for it is the biggest surprise for me, to bad that ship have already sailed for me.

Maybe Firefox should use xdg-open in KDE by default.
        Last edited by Nille_kungen; 09 July 2014, 08:27 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by torturedutopian View Post
          FINALLY... This (and oo.org integration... and most of all, the poor flash for Linux) have been anoying me a lot for years and years !
          openoffice?!?!?..........Son, we need to have a talk.............

Comment

Ahah, it's funny how people jump at pieces of my comment Sure oo.org is replaced by libo (but the integration problem is old) and sure, Flash is a MAJOR pain in the ***.

Regarding Firefox in KDE, apart from the look / feel and filerequester, the major long standing issue, I didn't find any acceptable long term solution for, and which annoys A LOT my wife, is tooltypes. [EDIT : I meant filetypes... Wow, a remnant from my Amiga days !] I fix it in different ways, but in the end, FF always ends up opening PDFs in the Gimp which is extremely annoying (I'm aware of solutions but none of them worked in the long run

Considering my most used apps are FF, PDF reader and office suite (apart from Dolphin), it's super frustrating to see they behave badly under the desktop environment that is by far the one I prefer for many reasons

Comment

The problem really isn't initial memory, it's how fast does it leak due to Javascript? Further How long does it take to completely flip out and start slowing down even with plenty of memory left?

For Firefox the answer is ~ 1 Day, irregardless of the number of tabs
              Irrespective, or regardless. Irregardless is not a word, no matter how much you want it to be =D
              Hi

Comment

Originally posted by stiiixy View Post
                Irrespective, or regardless. Irregardless is not a word, no matter how much you want it to be =D
                It's debatable whether it's a word. It is in some dictionaries but with a note that it's not considered standard. It doesn't really matter anyway. No word was a word until someone wanted it to be. Languages evolve; words appear out of nowhere and the meaning of existing words changes, sometimes to the opposite of what they used to mean.

Comment

Believe me it's not addons, and it's a problem with all browsers as it's a javascript problem not a addon problem, and if you look around this forum you'll find that other people are having the same problem (The other day in the x32 thread Marc Driftmeyer's firefox session was at 6GB, I've consistently had it leak out to 4GB, Chromium it's harder to track the overall usage but 40MB processes regularly bloat out to 200MB or more just leaving the browser sitting there).

Chrome so far is the nicest because its process model means that although it grows, and eventually you will have to restart the main process due to leakage the javascript leaks are usually confined to the page they're on which means I can close the tab to end the process and stave off that part of the leak whereas with firefox you're running a single process which means you can't reclaim that leaked memory without completely closing and reopening the web browser which I end up having to do.
                  Are you sure it's leak and not cache?

Comment

Originally posted by randomizer View Post
                    It's debatable whether it's a word. It is in some dictionaries but with a note that it's not considered standard. It doesn't really matter anyway. No word was a word until someone wanted it to be. Languages evolve; words appear out of nowhere and the meaning of existing words changes, sometimes to the opposite of what they used to mean.
                    It's not a word. Just because some Muhrican dictionary has it, or Oxford says 'its a word created as a portmanteau because some Numbskull thought it sounded cool' doesn't make it a word. It's meaning is double negative, and is worse than hearing people saying 'Please enter your PIN number at the ATM machine when the power goes out'.
                    Hi

Comment

Originally posted by curaga View Post
                      I don't understand your point. Qt uses more RAM than Gtk, therefore a Qt-based FF would be even heavier than the gtk-based one?
                      Qt does not use more memory than GTK in any test or benchmarks I have seen in the last few years. One of the reasons Tizen moved from GTK only to Qt preferred environment was because Qt was more lightweight than GTK.

Comment

Working...
                      X