Firefox Might Finally Be Moving Closer To Better KDE Integration

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Rallos Zek View Post
    Qt does not use more memory than GTK in any test or benchmarks I have seen in the last few years. One of the reasons Tizen moved from GTK only to Qt preferred environment was because Qt was more lightweight than GTK.
    Wasn't Tizen EFL?? Or part of it at least.

Comment

Originally posted by erendorn View Post
      Are you sure it's leak and not cache?
      Over time memory fragmentation of the js heap will start to add up, which is a legitimate problem. Hopefully one that will be fixed in the next 6 months by a moving garbage collector, now that FF has implemented GGC (in v31). It shouldn't be 4GB of wasted fragmentation space, though.

Comment

Originally posted by 89c51 View Post
        Wasn't Tizen EFL?? Or part of it at least.
        Yes Tizen is suppoed to use EFL. I dont think they ever have used either Qt or gtk.I suppose some user maybe use other tookits? (most likely both toolkit is usable in Tizen if you install them)
        Nokias and intels meego used both qt and gtk but I have got the impression Tizen orginates in limo not meego?
        Last edited by Akka; 10 July 2014, 06:02 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by curaga View Post
          I don't understand your point. Qt uses more RAM than Gtk, therefore a Qt-based FF would be even heavier than the gtk-based one?
          Definitely NOT when you already have Qt libraries used and shared in ro memory pages, because you use a Qt based desktop like KDE. When I looked at ACTUAL memory usage on low RAM machines almost 7 years ago, even a full KDE 4.0 desktop performed quite well in a tight environment, at that time Firefox was the deal breaker. They've done a lot of work on memory consumption, in the last few years, which for me makes it noticeably snappier than it used to be.

Qt's supporting OpenGL & OpenGL ES used in mobile, which tend to be low resource environments, and LXDE decided to port to Qt, which in version they tested was just 20MiB more RAM than the GTK+ 2 they were first based on, which was regarded as insignificant given the likely benefits.

As it stands, FF is usually the only GTK application running on my machine, so it's RSZ is fair bit larger than a Qt version would be. Having FF integrated with native libraries, adds look & feel benefits, a Qt target may benefit more than a KDE port, but also make KDE integration simpler.

Comment

Originally posted by smitty3268 View Post
            Over time memory fragmentation of the js heap will start to add up, which is a legitimate problem. Hopefully one that will be fixed in the next 6 months by a moving garbage collector, now that FF has implemented GGC (in v31). It shouldn't be 4GB of wasted fragmentation space, though.
            A while back a guy implemented memory pools and some compaction, so they could shrink the cache by freeing lightly used pool, in part of memory management GC thread. Then when needed, another pool can be allocated for new objects. I really haven't seen signs of leaks, but I do use noscript reducing my exposure to web programmer's system abuses.

Finally I don't have a problem restarting FF every now and again, it reloads all my tabs and with an SSD it is very fast start up compared to 6 (or actually even mozilla 14 years ago), even on a 2007 CPU.

Comment

Originally posted by Nille_kungen View Post
              Everything about KDE integration has always been meet with "WONTFIX" attitude by moz devs.
              I thought about doing some of it myself once but got the impression from devs that they wouldn't accept it even if someone did it.
              That they say that they're open for it is the biggest surprise for me, to bad that ship have already sailed for me
              I don't get that attitude, if they accept code and it becomes a burden and problem then they can let it bit rot, saying they need a KDE maintainer.

All too often, there seems to be a NIH, not interested closedness in projects, when the whole point of having them open, is so they can be modified to meet more peoples needs.

Comment

Originally posted by torturedutopian View Post
                Considering my most used apps are FF, PDF reader and office suite (apart from Dolphin), it's super frustrating to see they behave badly under the desktop environment that is by far the one I prefer for many reasons
                Have you tried openSUSE 13.1? I haven't seen problems with PDF files, and as SuSE sells a supported enterprise desktop, Libre Office, FF and a Professional quality system management has to be in place.

Comment

Originally posted by stiiixy View Post
                  It's not a word. Just because some Muhrican dictionary has it, or Oxford says 'its a word created as a portmanteau because some Numbskull thought it sounded cool' doesn't make it a word. It's meaning is double negative, and is worse than hearing people saying 'Please enter your PIN number at the ATM machine when the power goes out'.
                  Irregardless of what you consider proper language, if you keep complaining alot about it, your literally going to loose you're sanity one day.

Comment

Originally posted by dee. View Post
                    Irregardless of what you consider proper language, if you keep complaining alot about it, your literally going to loose you're sanity one day.
                    Please, do go on and keep creating your own dictionary, while the rest of us use baseline English so others can understand. It's not hard to make shit up. I do it all the time. It's easier to correct ones own mistake however and bite the bullet than it is to expect others to swallow your tripe.

And if I go bonkers, the cause would be far removed from mere grammatical argumentation.
                    Hi

Comment

Originally posted by stiiixy View Post
                      Please, do go on and keep creating your own dictionary,
                      I've never written a dictionary nor do I have any inclination to do so. I believe the word you're looking for is "vocabulary".

while the rest of us use baseline English so others can understand.
                      Fascinating. Who's the "rest of you"? Do you see these people often? Do they show up at times of stress? Conjuring up an imaginary majority to support your cause won't do you any good though. The last I checked, people using grammatically correct English in their daily life were pretty solidly in the minority. Even people who speak english as their native language often have a fairly limited grasp on the rules of the language. Not to mention that the entire english language is a clusterfuck of throwaways from other languages cobbled together to distantly resemble something like a coherent grammar.

It's not hard to make shit up. I do it all the time.
                      Evidently. That aside, you're basically saying that everyone who uses the word "irregardless" or "alot" or says "literally" when they mean "figuratively" are just making that shit up on the spot, instead of... oh, I don't know, repeating learned behaviour which they pick up from social interactions with people around them? Nah, that'd be crazy...

It's easier to correct ones own mistake however and bite the bullet than it is to expect others to swallow your tripe.
                      If you point out some mistakes I've made I'll be happy to correct them. Also, unless you're giving me a blowjob I'm not expecting you to swallow anything.

However, consider this: you can spend your life fighting people who don't use words the way you think they should be used, but at the end of the day, people are going to use those words in whatever ways they want anyway. If you want a static language that never changes, stick with Latin or something. Actual live languages are much trickier animals... they don't care about committees or dictionaries or official definitions, real live languages work purely on consensus: when enough people use "irregardless" as a word, it becomes a legitimate word by default - even if you think it's totally stupid and redundant, it's still a legitimate word... eventually, the dictionaries and even the anal-retentive language purists have no choice but to yield and accept the inevitable. And that's how languages evolve and that's why we're not having this pleasant chat in ye olde englishe.

The same pattern has been happening for as long as language has existed, and it will keep on happening, no matter how many hissyfits are thrown. I suggest you make your peace with it... you're of course free to take that advice or ignore it.

Comment

Working...
                      X