Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RealVNC Introduces VNC Wayland Developer Preview

Phoronix: RealVNC Introduces VNC Wayland Developer Preview

For nearly one year we've known about RealVNC being interested in Wayland support for their commercial VNC products and last year they proposed a remote access protocol for Wayland. Today, RealVNC has put out a developer preview of its VNC software for Wayland...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

source or gtfo

If it ain't free open source software, then they can shove it up where the sun don't shine.

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
      If it ain't free open source software, then they can shove it up where the sun don't shine.
      I strongly disagree. I welcome RealVNC's efforts. It doesn't mean I'm even going to use their product, but for the time being it's nice knowing we've already got working remote desktop for wayland. It should only be a matter of time until we get a free open source VNC server/client for wayland.

Honestly though what surprises me is that the desktop environments don't supply their own remote desktop support. If they stick with standard protocols, it should work pretty effectively, and with such integration you could do cool things that no standard VNC would do, like a smaller viewport that automatically follows the mouse pointer, or a viewport that automatically resizes and "attaches" itself to the active window.

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
        I strongly disagree. I welcome RealVNC's efforts. It doesn't mean I'm even going to use their product, but for the time being it's nice knowing we've already got working remote desktop for wayland. It should only be a matter of time until we get a free open source VNC server/client for wayland.

Honestly though what surprises me is that the desktop environments don't supply their own remote desktop support. If they stick with standard protocols, it should work pretty effectively, and with such integration you could do cool things that no standard VNC would do, like a smaller viewport that automatically follows the mouse pointer, or a viewport that automatically resizes and "attaches" itself to the active window.
        The good thing is that they provide feeback upstream to developers on stuff and propose stuff which should get us all an API and the basic structure needed upstreams.

It would be cool if the login manager (i.e GDM, KDM, LightDM, etc) could directly login to a remote desktop.

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
          The good thing is that they provide feeback upstream to developers on stuff and propose stuff which should get us all an API and the basic structure needed upstreams.

It would be cool if the login manager (i.e GDM, KDM, LightDM, etc) could directly login to a remote desktop.
          They used to be able to do that.

Well GDM did at least. That was before the GNOME developers completely lost their minds.

Comment

Is this the first commercial software the openly supports Wayland?

Comment

Originally posted by seedo View Post
              Is this the first commercial software the openly supports Wayland?
              Nope. There's SailfishOS which runs on the Jolla phone, and then there's IVI (In-vehicle Infotainment) systems based on Tizen that use Wayland.

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post

Technically KDE does, look up KRDC and KRFB

Comment

Originally posted by johnc View Post
                  They used to be able to do that.

Well GDM did at least. That was before the GNOME developers completely lost their minds.
                  lightdm still does it. Here's a snippet of /etc/lightdm/lightdm.conf for a debian setup:
                  Code:
                  #
                  # VNC Server configuration
                  #
                  # enabled = True if VNC connections should be allowed
                  # command = Command to run Xvnc server with
                  # port = TCP/IP port to listen for connections on
                  # width = Width of display to use
                  # height = Height of display to use
                  # depth = Color depth of display to use
                  #
                  [VNCServer]
                  #enabled=false
                  #command=Xvnc
                  #port=5900
                  #width=1024
                  #height=768
                  #depth=8
                  @Luke_Wolf
                  Hmm, I knew about KRDC (it's a nice application) but not KRFB. Then again, I don't have a need to remotely access my KDE setup.

Comment

Is there any interest by DEs with their own compositors to implement remote capabilities in them (vnc rdp whatever)?

Comment

Working...
                    X