Results 1 to 10 of 42

Thread: X.Org Server 1.16 Delayed To Let In Non-PCI Graphics Support

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    15,102

    Default X.Org Server 1.16 Delayed To Let In Non-PCI Graphics Support

    Phoronix: X.Org Server 1.16 Delayed To Let In Non-PCI Graphics Support

    X.Org Server 1.16 has been delayed. However, it's not been delayed like in some of the more notorious past releases due to outstanding bugs, etc, but over letting in a late feature to this latest revision of the X11 server...

    http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTczNzI

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    180

    Default

    And it looks like xserver i going to stay for a lot of years...

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    129

    Default

    Well of course it will take a ****load of years, it will take at least 10 years for mir to get into usable state, plus another 5-10 years for software devs to port software, plus of course there will be some devs that will not port to mir and so on.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    1,030

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by startzz View Post
    Well of course it will take a ****load of years, it will take at least 10 years for mir to get into usable state, plus another 5-10 years for software devs to port software, plus of course there will be some devs that will not port to mir and so on.
    Who cares about Mir when you have Wayland?

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    1,070

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TheOne View Post
    And it looks like xserver i going to stay for a lot of years...
    At least transition has been started, xwayland mainlined is one of news for this xserver .

    Transition will be very slow of course, no one sane wants to broke all the Desktops now .

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    701

    Default

    1) X11 works.
    2) It really works.
    3) Really.

    And that is not irony. Xorg is stable software with known shortcomings, which do not prevent it from being usable.

    Good story is that nowadays most apps use middleware that handle all traffic to the OS graphic stack. So those apps require updated middleware in worst scenario.

    Some apps use plain X11, and those will need Xwaylan/Xmir. But both of those work OK, even now.

    What we wait for then is stability and general usefulness of Wayland/Mir themselfs.

    We can wait. X.org works. No cats/dogs will be harmed if they come with some delay.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Under the bridge
    Posts
    2,146

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by przemoli View Post
    1) X11 works.
    2) It really works.
    3) Really.

    And that is not irony. Xorg is stable software with known shortcomings, which do not prevent it from being usable.
    Can I use my hotkeys or lock the screen when a right-click menu is displayed? No.

    Can I expect to get a tear-free display regardless of my GPU? No.

    Is it still a huge security hole running as root, compromising every single Linux desktop? Yes.

    X11 does not work and it is finally going to die the death it deserves. No tears were shed.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Linuxland
    Posts
    5,182

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BlackStar View Post
    Can I use my hotkeys or lock the screen when a right-click menu is displayed? No.
    I can use hotkeys just fine regardless of what X does, even if X is not running...

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    70

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BlackStar View Post
    X11 does not work and it is finally going to die the death it deserves. No tears were shed.
    Software is non-corporeal; it does not live or die, neither does it "deserve" anything (or not). You are allowing your emotions to impinge upon your rational judgement.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •