Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 32

Thread: KDE Frameworks 5 Has Been Officially Released

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    14,770

    Default KDE Frameworks 5 Has Been Officially Released

    Phoronix: KDE Frameworks 5 Has Been Officially Released

    As a follow-up to the story from earlier about KDE Frameworks 5 being due out, the official release of KF5 ended up taking place this afternoon...

    http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTczNzE

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Posts
    11

    Default

    You meant fedora 21 of course.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    72

    Default

    The problem with those DEs is that they are so complicated and have many bugs.
    After that many years with the kde sc 4, I cannot get a fully functional network manager for example(it refuses to interface with my intel card), while other managers, from xfce work flawlessly.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    285

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Yorgos View Post
    The problem with those DEs is that they are so complicated and have many bugs.
    After that many years with the kde sc 4, I cannot get a fully functional network manager for example(it refuses to interface with my intel card), while other managers, from xfce work flawlessly.
    stop right there!
    Did you see any announcement of a desktop release? Of workspaces? of _anything_ graphical that you can use as a desktop?

    No!

    This is the frameworks 5 release. This in turn is used to create a desktop which we now call Plasma 5 and that is about to be released somewhere late this month if i'm correct.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    72

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by markg85 View Post
    stop right there!
    Did you see any announcement of a desktop release? Of workspaces? of _anything_ graphical that you can use as a desktop?

    No!

    This is the frameworks 5 release. This in turn is used to create a desktop which we now call Plasma 5 and that is about to be released somewhere late this month if i'm correct.
    there is little effort in making everything work,
    but there so much effort in polishing the visuals, getting fancy effects and changing the whole structure of the DE.

    It seems to me that both popular DE care more about the looks and less about the functionality.

    For me, the article says, here's a different way to project your bugs.

    and btw the DE will be released next week.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    221

    Default

    Don't quite know why you're complaining, KDE 4.x has been working very well for me (since around 4.7). If you don't count KMail (which has been a bit of a mess, but still the only client offering all the features I use).

    Plasma 5 ( = plasma 2 as I understand it) I am looking forward to for true HiDPI support.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    803

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by markg85 View Post
    stop right there!
    Did you see any announcement of a desktop release? Of workspaces? of _anything_ graphical that you can use as a desktop?

    No!

    This is the frameworks 5 release. This in turn is used to create a desktop which we now call Plasma 5 and that is about to be released somewhere late this month if i'm correct.
    It's Digia's fault for coming up with PR names (which are always shitty) instead of mnemonic ones, so don't blame the guy, blame the idiots taking naming decisions.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    72

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Cyborg16 View Post
    Don't quite know why you're complaining, KDE 4.x has been working very well for me (since around 4.7). If you don't count KMail (which has been a bit of a mess, but still the only client offering all the features I use).

    Plasma 5 ( = plasma 2 as I understand it) I am looking forward to for true HiDPI support.
    don't forget also that kvpnc requires special treatment in order to work. if you don't know what you are doing, then you get the nice crash window, without any proper info.
    bluetooth and wifi do not work with the network manager, although the drivers work perfectly, and there is no problem when setting everything up in the terminal by hand. the network manager is also a little bit tricky with the openvpn plugin.

    Quote Originally Posted by mark45 View Post
    It's Digia's fault for coming up with PR names (which are always shitty) instead of mnemonic ones, so don't blame the guy, blame the idiots taking naming decisions.
    actually it's the same thing, the new buttons come always with a new DE version, that's what they've been always doing.
    I don't know if this is digia's/nokia's/trolltech's way to get the people to fix their bugs and then sell the stable version,of the framework, to the companies.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    1,114

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Yorgos View Post
    there is little effort in making everything work,
    but there so much effort in polishing the visuals, getting fancy effects and changing the whole structure of the DE.
    And there is precisely the problem. Before the visual group was announced, people were complaining about how KDE was wasting too much time fixing bugs rather than on polishing the UI. Now that they are polishing the UI, people complain that they are not spending enough time fixing bugs. It doesn't matter what approach KDE developers take, someone will criticize them for not focusing on some particular issue.

    That, of course, completely misses the fact that the visual design group is made up primarily of non-coders. They wouldn't be fixing bugs if they weren't in the visual design group, they would simply not be participating at all. The whole point of the visual design group is to organize non-coders with design experience.

    And your post completely ignores all the effort and changes with frameworks 5 that have gone into finding, detecting, fixing, and preventing bugs. Changing the structure of the libraries was essential to accomplish that.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    163

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Yorgos View Post
    The problem with those DEs is that they are so complicated and have many bugs.
    After that many years with the kde sc 4, I cannot get a fully functional network manager for example(it refuses to interface with my intel card), while other managers, from xfce work flawlessly.
    The network manager is the same regardless of the desktop. And if you like a different widget style for the applet, just launch a different one, it will integrate into the systray in KDE just like it does in any other X11 desktop (Until plasma-nm became fully functional around 4.5, which is many years ago btw, I personally used the GTK nm-applet instead).

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •