Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Qualcomm Retracts Its Massive DMCA Takedown Of Git Repositories

Phoronix: Qualcomm Retracts Its Massive DMCA Takedown Of Git Repositories

As a follow-up to the story about a Qualcomm DMCA notice taking down 100+ repositories of open-source code on GitHub, Qualcomm has changed course...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

This proves one thing... among all them Qualcomm employees there is at least one who is not quite as stupid as the rest.

Comment

Qualcomm (and every other copyright maximalist that finally relises their mistake): "Yeah, that DMCA notice was a mistake. Please undelete all those repos that we told you to delete."
      It's a good thing git is a distributed VCS otherwise we'd never get those back.

Comment

Originally posted by sdack View Post
        This proves one thing... among all them Qualcomm employees there is at least one who is not quite as stupid as the rest.
        And apparently he/she has enough authority to do some good.

Comment

I'd like to think Qualcomm retracted those DMCA notices because they actually cared about the authors and fixing their mistake, but I have a feeling this was done mainly to prevent legal issues with the Android kernel.

Comment

Still, this event is now a separate section in Qualcomms wikipedia page, congrats. How much damage did Cyveillance do to itself, and will it now go bust or will it rename itself?

Comment

This wasn't Qualcomm's, but their patent infringement rep's wasn't it? Which means Qualcomm's only mistake here was allowing that company too much leeway in demanding takedowns without checks for proper investigation in to infringements. This incident seems to me to be akin to a cop busting you for possession of illegal substances while walking down the street.
              Hi

Comment

QinetiQ stock appears to be headed downwards after a short spike. No idea if it's long-term.
                (Cyveillance is a subsidiary of QinetiQ, which seems to be a British defense company, so I'm guessing that at most QinetiQ will get shed of them.)

Also: yeah, Qualcomm's mistake was giving them free rein.
                I wonder if any other companies will learn from this.

Comment

Penalty of perjury

Correct me if I'm wrong (not from the US) but doesn't the DMCA takedown request have the line: you declare UNDER PENALTY OF PERJURY that the information in your notice is accurate and that you are the copyright owner or authorized to act on the copyright owner's behalf?

Doesn't this mean some steep fines for false takedown requests?

Comment

but someone would need to sue them.

Comment

Working...
                    X