Finally been waiting for it since the day I knew which kernel RHEL7 used, as I really wanted that release was to use bcache feature that was patched in 3.10 kernel, has I got a 500GB HD and a 64GB SSD in my laptop. Sadly will have to fiddle with it manually to use, as bcache is only planned to be added to anaconda in Fedora 22. I just hope bcache-tools package is in centos repository.
I found something interesting a while ago. Oracle repackages RHEL and distributes it for free, however it also provides a much newer kernel (3.8.13). So for those of you having issues with wifi cards on RHEL 6.x or CentOS 6.x then you might want to give it a shot.
Personally I prefer the Gnome 2 desktop to whatever RH has attempted to make out of the ruins of Gnome 3 so if anyone else feels the same, I suggest they keep with Oracle EL for a while longer (unless Mate or Xfce from the EPEL repo is working perfectly).
Last edited by kpedersen; 07-08-2014 at 07:50 AM.
EPEL 7 is still in beta, but Xfce, MATE, and Cinnamon should (hopefully) be available via EPEL. You can already install MATE instead of GNOME or KDE if you add EPEL 7 to your installation sources, but there are currently still some installation error messages. I agree that for anyone who uses RHEL (or derivatives) as a workstation/desktop, it is a little early to switch over to EL7 even if EL6 is long in the tooth, particularly since third-party repos haven't entirely caught up.
Originally Posted by kpedersen
I would like to add Sabayon Linux to this list. I have been using it a while without any problems with the binary video drivers. They came in with the installation and actually work a lot better than in Ubuntu. (I am using an AMD card).
Originally Posted by kde185
About my only concern with this is that Kernel 3.10 does not have support for radeon dpm, which could be a problem on some of my machines.
Centos can be a great foundation for a home media and file server where you pretty much can set it up once and then forget about it aside from updating it every so often. Also it can be a great learning tool for people aspiring to become sysadmins.
Originally Posted by r0ck
Kind of why I'm doing it... well okay, I already am a system administrator, but I spent most of my career using Debian (mainly because a smart administrator is a lazy administrator, and Debian has tons of pre-packaged software that just works 90% of the time with an apt-get install. The other 10% requires a bit of configuration and it works 'til the end of time, and can upgrade between major releases).
Originally Posted by DeepDayze
I recently started a job where they're more or less standardizing upon CentOS. So I figured I'd try out the newer version and see where it's going. usually CentOS/RHEL and Debian Stable are about the same version wise on software. Seems this time it's a little out of whack, not sure if it's because RHEL 7 took so long to release, or because Debian 8.0 is just right around the corner. Probably the latter, but I think Debian 8.0 is going to land with the 3.14 kernel, rather than 3.10.