Thread: KDE Frameworks 5 Is Due Out Tomorrow

Hybrid View

Default KDE Frameworks 5 Is Due Out Tomorrow

Phoronix: KDE Frameworks 5 Is Due Out Tomorrow

KDE Frameworks 5 is due out tomorrow on 8 July...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTczNjc

Default Re

I think KArchive is pretty interesting since it has support for a lot of formats while having no dependencies... And also, it's simple to use, you just feed it files and it does the job... If you install libraries for lzma for example, it automatically can support that format to...

Will it make to Debian testing before the freeze? I hope this upcoming freeze won't be annoyingly long like the last one.

Stay tuned for more KDE Frameworks 5 details tomorrow.
    Is it a radio station?

What does this mean for someone who has KDE installed as a standard install on Arch? Will KDE 4 be automatically updated to 5 through a standard pacman update at any point?

I tried the instructions in the linked article but gave up after it said it was going to replace something from my KDE 4 installation, or there was a conflict or something. And while this was mentioned in the article, I wasn't exactly clear whether I could just replace the package without issue, and I couldn't be bothered to research at the time so I abandoned it.

Quote Originally Posted by kaprikawn View Post
    What does this mean for someone who has KDE installed as a standard install on Arch? Will KDE 4 be automatically updated to 5 through a standard pacman update at any point?

I tried the instructions in the linked article but gave up after it said it was going to replace something from my KDE 4 installation, or there was a conflict or something. And while this was mentioned in the article, I wasn't exactly clear whether I could just replace the package without issue, and I couldn't be bothered to research at the time so I abandoned it.
    not replace but additional install, both can coexist now

Arrow Winter is coming..

Quote Originally Posted by shmerl View Post
    Will it make to Debian testing before the freeze? I hope this upcoming freeze won't be annoyingly long like the last one.
    Oh god I hope it does.. I don't want to have to keep using KDE4 during the probably 9-month-long freeze, while every one else will be happy singing and dancing using KDE5..
    Debian really needs to figure out a better way to do testing.. It is supposed to be rolling, but it doesn't really roll at all during the long freeze.. This is the biggest thing I hate about debian.. Although there is nothing else better, so I keep using it any way..

Quote Originally Posted by Baconmon View Post
    Oh god I hope it does.. I don't want to have to keep using KDE4 during the probably 9-month-long freeze, while every one else will be happy singing and dancing using KDE5..
    Debian really needs to figure out a better way to do testing.. It is supposed to be rolling, but it doesn't really roll at all during the long freeze.. This is the biggest thing I hate about debian.. Although there is nothing else better, so I keep using it any way..
    Debian orients itself around its stable releases. I can't see them letting KDE5 until it's proven to be solid. Whether that can happen in 6 months is anyone's guess...
    I suspect that even if that does happen, derivatives like Aptosid will still package KDE5.