Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oculus Acquires RakNet Middleware & Open-Sources It

Phoronix: Oculus Acquires RakNet Middleware & Open-Sources It

At the same time as announcing Oculus Connect, a new developer conference for the popular virtual reality gaming device, Oculus has shared they have acquired RakNet and open-sourced the software...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Cool, if they do enough stuff like that, I'll forgive them for going to Facebook.
    I won't really even mind as long as they keep documented APIs for their hardware.

Comment

Wow... really didn't expect this one. Good work. I supposed its now more enticing to use.
      I'll look at it tonight to see what I can apply it too ;D

Comment

Cool

When Facebook bought Oculus, I was like fuck and lost all interest in Oculus.

This is really cool that they buy stuff and open source it!

Comment

Well, Facebook aren't exactly open-source unfriendly. They're just privacy rapists (which you volunteer too, might I add) =D
          Hi

Comment

Originally posted by stiiixy View Post
            Well, Facebook aren't exactly open-source unfriendly. They're just privacy rapists (which you volunteer too, might I add) =D
            I agree. Facebook is probably doing just as much (if not more) interesting stuff in the open source sphere as Google. Btrfs, Hack and D come to mind...

Comment

Originally posted by rdnetto View Post
              I agree. Facebook is probably doing just as much (if not more) interesting stuff in the open source sphere as Google. Btrfs, Hack and D come to mind...
              Keep in mind a lot of the problems stem not from them, but from stupid laws and such. Often they are on our side fighting against the truly nasty corporations and businesses.

Comment

Originally posted by profoundWHALE View Post
                Keep in mind a lot of the problems stem not from them, but from stupid laws and such. Often they are on our side fighting against the truly nasty corporations and businesses.
                You have better shrooms than I do.

Comment

A networking library? Probably because they're going to pipe huge amounts of identitifiable or otherwise privacy violating (meta) data in realtime from the headset to NSA^H^H^H Facebook headquarters. I guess the RakNet license wasn't flexible enough, so they bought it.

Other than that a useful development for others. I might try using it instead of enet.

Comment

This is exceedingly cool. But doesn't fix that John Carmack is a a Facebook employee.

Comment

Working...
                    X