Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Using Udev Without Systemd Is Going To Become Harder

Phoronix: Using Udev Without Systemd Is Going To Become Harder

Since the udev code-base was merged with systemd, it's become more difficult to use udev without systemd, but it's only going to become incredibly difficult to handle once KDBUS has been merged into the mainline Linux kernel...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I think Lennart was being too harsh. That guy was actually very gentle in his request. I understand Lennart gets crap all the time, but don't take it out on someone who actually isn't being a dick.

Comment

Brace Shitstorm is Coming, i hope KDBUS lands in 3.17

Comment

Embrace.

Extend.

Extinguish.

We are waiting for the next project to be swallowed and crippled by Lennart.

For better or worse, systemd and pulse are the reality of Linux for the next year or more. Once they implode, we'll need to move over to something else, as regularly happens in Linux. We've survived hal, devfs, esd, arts and a million other things, so let's hope that whatever succeeds systemd is going to be saner and managed by less destructive individuals.
        Last edited by pingufunkybeat; 07 July 2014, 09:34 AM.

Comment

[deleted]
          Last edited by teresaejunior; 08 November 2020, 09:45 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by pingufunkybeat View Post
            Embrace.

Extend.

Extinguish.

We are waiting for the next project to be swallowed and crippled by Lennart.

For better or worse, systemd and pulse are the reality of Linux for the next year or more. Once they implode, we'll need to move over to something else, as regularly happens in Linux. We've survived hal, devfs, esd, arts and a million other things, so let's hope that whatever succeeds systemd is going to be saner and managed by less destructive individuals.
            That is what they said about Linux. I am 1999 user, and still waiting to implode. I am with lennard, and am I glad he makes Linux userspace evolve with each day passing.
            The things that you say "hal, devfs, esd, arts..." is called evolution, the same can be said about the kernel "ifw, iptables, nftables". And guess what, the Linux kernel motto is: Evolution, not revolution.
            And don't mess us with M$ and that EEE.

Comment

The guy is just a whole cancer on the Linux project.

I see Linux experiencing a severe fracture within the next 5-10 years, something far worse than Android initially was.

Comment

Linus, now it is your turn. Stop accepting crippled patches from that guy.

Comment

Originally posted by johnc View Post

I see Linux experiencing a severe fracture within the next 5-10 years, something far worse than Android initially was.
                  Actually, no. Lennart is pretty awesome. He always takes the most difficult projects and he has the most interesting ideas. His biggest problem is that he's often less considerate of others and moves the projects too fast, which results in too many bugs and inefficiencies. Sadly, this affects the adoption phase and puts him in negative light.

Comment

Re

Originally posted by johnc View Post

The guy wants to improve the experience on Linux, you will be able to make bus calls without libudev... currently this is separated and it sucks...

I actually understand Lennart's frustration. This only will improve the experience, you don't see why someone would be against it - and here this guy comes with false claims that he doesn't hate on systemd while being opposed to something which does good, there is no other explanation to it just that the intention is to harm the project - and here comes the frustration...

Comment

Working...
                    X